1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Noisey 4X

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mountaindan, Nov 13, 2009.

1. mountaindan

mountaindan New Member

I have a 96 2500, when I engage the 4X it will go in, but once I get up around 25mph it starts to make noise and vibrate, It sounds like it is not locking up completely. I have installed a new actuator but have the same results. I have also engaged it with the actuator out and it does extend.
    I have 2 questions, 1st how far does the actuator extend when engaged?
    and 2, where can I get a detailed view of the differential? I would like to know exactly what goes on when the actuator extends to actually engage the differential.

Thanks for the help!
  2. mountaindan

mountaindan New Member

Help

No one has had a similar problem? :shocked:
  3. ayaws

ayaws New Member

Well, I have a 2005 Yukon that's in for front diff service now. When accelerating in 4 hi or auto 4x4, it will make a bit of a moaning and grinding noise. No noises in 2wd.

They're replacing three bearings in the front diff (one to each side and the pinon bearing.)

$500 of labor and $200 of parts.

T-case and actuator are all fine. Evidently this is a common issue.

(Mine's a Yukon, so it's a half-ton which may/may not apply to you.)

HTH,
    Adam
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Every 4x4 i have owned has made some noise when in 4, never had any issues though
  5. mountaindan

mountaindan New Member

Thanks for the inut guys. I will probably have to take in and have it looked at, There is something definitely wrong, it's not a normal sound.
    I just dont know enough about the front Diff to be tearing it apart!

Attached Files: