1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Noob here

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by redvr4, Jan 3, 2009.

1. redvr4

redvr4 New Member

Hi all I'm a noob from St. Louis Mo area and in need of a little advice.

I have a 97 Savana G1500 and the upper ball joints need to be replaced.
    I am generally capable of doing these things with no problem but can someone tell me if there is a way of pulling or pressing the "Upper" balljoints out without the special press that is supposedly required?

It really looks to me like I could use a pickle fork up on top of the upper control arm and under the top mounting plate for the ball joint but I'm not sure that's a great idea.

Bill
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site Bill! I'm sure someone here will have an answer for you shortly.
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Never done it on a full size van, but it should be like most others equipped with press fit ball joints. You can rent the tool from your local AutoZone. You should be able to press it out without removing the control arm.

[​IMG]
  4. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC, and good luck with your repairs.
  5. redvr4

redvr4 New Member

[​IMG]

That press won't work on this ball joint.
  6. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You mentioned the use of a press. None is required if your ball joints are riveted and you don't remove the control arm. Drill out the rivets and install the ball joint using the bolts provided by the mfg. Be sure to torque to spec. It is recommended that you remove the upper control arm to do this work, but maybe you can see a way to get the clearance needed to drill the rivets without doing that. For specific instructions follow dwill3015's post.
  7. bassalive

bassalive Rockstar 100 Posts

Amen, last post by unplugged is the way out brother.
  8. bassalive

bassalive Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a polaris 4 wheeler in my garage last winter with a guy lookin for a press. He pounded and beat for an hour he said. I'll take it out in 2 seconds with one hand behind my back I said as I lit the torch................lol.
  9. redvr4

redvr4 New Member

[​IMG]

Well this kind of sucks. I followed the link as specified and at first glance it looks exactly like what ALLDATA.DIY looks like except for the explaination. It is almost an identical picture and is the exact tool number but the tool according to your site is only needed for the lower balljoint.

Thanks guys now I am ready to do a probably pretty easy job.
  10. jprimrose4292

jprimrose4292 Member

welcome to the site. Good luck on the ball joint