Nooooo, my streak is over!!! (CEL)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by McClintoc, Dec 10, 2013.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Original owner, 13 years, 175,000 miles and I have never had my CEL come on...until today. :grrrrrr:

I didn't feel, see, hear or smell anything odd so I have no idea what it could be.

Fortunately, my dad has a code reader and I am having dinner with him tomorrow so I'll find out what it is tomorrow night.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

There goes Christmas, haha

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

WOW.....That Is Amazing!!!.....it shows that you have taken Excellent Care of your truck...:great:.......regarding the CEL, is it Flashing or On Steady.

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

ya forget Christmas fun now . maybe santa will give you a free fix.

probably a p0300 false code.

5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm going to go with a p400-p422, emissions based fault

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yea, I am going with a Po4?? hopefully just a gas cap issue.

7. McClintoc

I just checked my codes. The light is on steady. I am getting:

P0171 System too lean (Bank 1)
    P0174 System too lean (Bank 2)

I believe this is fuel/air mix correct? "Too lean" meaning too much air, not enough fuel for the amount of air coming in, yes/no?

8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

McClintoc.....correct regarding the Amount of Air "Too Much" the Sensor's provide a reading of the Air:Fuel Ratio leaving the Engine's Cylinders, and the Vehicles Power-Train/Engine Control Module (PCM/ECM) uses that reading and adjusts to keep the Engine Running at that Optimum Ratio of 14.7:1. If something is not right and the PCM cannot maintain that ratio, but rather there is Too Much Air, it Triggers these Codes.

***These Codes Basically mean that the Oxygen Sensor on Bank 1 and Oxygen Sensor on Bank 2 has detected a Lean Condition "Too much Oxygen in the Exhaust"....On V-8 Engines, Bank 1 is on the Driver-Side of the Engine that has Cylinder #1 and Bank 2 is on the Passenger-Side of the Engine,

***Here are some of the Items to Check,
    Check All Vacuum and PCV Hoses, Replace and/or Repair if needed
    Check for Leak Downstream of the MAF Sensor.
    Clean MAF Sensor
    Check for a Failed or Faulty Oxygen Sensor

9. McClintoc

I have never cleaned my MAF sensor and my O2 sensors are originaly. I figure cleaning my MAF and replacing my O2 sensors is a good place to start.

What the best way to clean a MAF?

On a side note, I did not clear the CEL but it was off this morning...

10. 99'HEARTBEAT

I would start with cleaning the MAF Sensor, and then check for Vacuum Leaks, as doing these 2-items will cost you very little, and may correct the problem, and for cleaning you want to use Only....CRC's MAF Sensor(Pictured below)and the Video shows how to Clean a MAF Sensor....