1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Normal for 2001 Suburban to go through brake pads without wearing down rotors?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bazar01, Mar 19, 2013.

1. bazar01

bazar01 Member

I just completed the brake job this past weekend.

Is it normal for these models just to wear out pads without chewing up rotors? I was a little surprised as I was planning also on replacing front and rear rotors but the rotors were not even worn down. They did not even need resurfacing. There was minimal wear on the rotor surfaces but the pads were almost down to 3/16" at 170k miles. The old factory pads leave a lot of brake dust on the wheels though.

I was just happy not to spend extra on front and rear rotors.
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

simply put yes. One thing chevy got right was how the stock pads wore.
  3. bazar01

bazar01 Member

The thing is, I replaced the factory pads with the Advance Gold brake pads. I guess it's too late to go back to factory pads.
    But in another 100k miles, I may get another Suburban by then. :happy: If gas is still available ......
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

170K, do you think the factory pads lasted that long?

Have you had the truck from day 1?
  5. bazar01

bazar01 Member

I've had the truck since 8k miles. The wife drives it. She is not very hard on the brakes always anticipating stops.
  6. unsub

unsub New Member

Replace all four rotors they are what's tearing up your pads. Burb rotors should be replaced before 150k. I just did mine at 136k and the rotors were in ok condition but they ate pads up easy. The drums for the parking brake were disintegrated. Don't cheap out, buy the hardware kit to. Not that spendy for rotors, pads, parking drums and hardware kit.