1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

North Carolina's toll roads are a joke :-)

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by PantheraUncia, Mar 4, 2013.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

So about a year ago, they started building toll road's in North Carolina, and their crown jewel, the outer loop around Raleigh has been a failure that they don't want to fess up and admit that hardly anyone is using.

If they want to learn from their mistakes, STOP TAXING PEOPLE THAT PAY TO MANY TAXES ALREADY.

I know there are people for it and against it, and I am against it which seems where the majority of people here are. We will sit in congested, over taxed roads before footing the bill for something that wasn't needed in the first place.

I am hearing that they are going to potentially lower toll rates to get more people on it and or make the un-tolled sections of it tolled so the whole loop is tolled........

And then the way the scam artist collection agencies work; if you are late on paying toll's. Some people have already racked up bills over $1000 for not paying tolls less than $2 on time.....

When people speak, they need to listen or go out of business like any other company.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

We have the same issues here in North Texas, and instead of correcting the problems that exist with toll roads, i.e. still congested traffic and a screwed up collection system they started to build even more toll roads.
    I'm hoping sometime soon the Texas legislature steps in and tells them they cant expand until they correct the problems they already created. But unfortunately that would be counting on government to do something besides take tax's, because lately the only thing they appear to excel at is taxation.
  3. PantheraUncia

Their original intention was to take the money from the first section and use it to fund completing the next section and so forth so they can complete the loop, unfortunately for them it did not work out quite that way.... They ain't making money off it.

It makes me just want to laugh.... apparently the collection agencies are making a mint off it at the state and tax payers expense though. Someone is getting rich :)

I need to get in the collection business.... and its actually legal...hahaha
  4. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

We don't have any toll roads in Tennessee but I grew up in Oklahoma they have them. You have to pay the toll right then and there though. You either pay via cash or you can get a PikePass that lets you go through without stopping at the booths and you have to keep a certain amount loaded on it. It's a cheaper rate than stopping at the booths and you don't have to use as much fuel from stopping at the toll booths so it's pretty nice. No collections necessary out there. The only downside is that they said they'd take the tolls off once the roads were paid for but they never did. The roads are kept in pretty good shape though so I can't complain too much. I didn't know they even had toll roads in NC. I don't pass any when I'm on my way to visit my mom and I've only been in the Raleigh area once or twice.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Hey Guys.... Try to drive up here in the TOLL Capital of the US NJ/NY..:grrrrrr: NJ to NY accross the GWB for cars $13.00 EX Pass $10.50...
  6. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Yea , NY is about the worst. When I take 90 from Albany to Earie it costs between $15- $20 in tolls alone. Hate to see what it would be with a trailer.
  7. PantheraUncia

I spent 12 days in Manhattan about 3 years ago and while most of the time was in the city, I did travel to NJ and Long Island and for the few days, the tolls up there did not bother me, but if I had to do it every day, that would be a ***, but I guess salaries up there are also adjusted also for the cost of living.

They don't do that here.... because cost of living here is cheaper than NYC, but gotta think about it from the other side to.... Wake county is the second most expensive county to live in in NC so if you come from a poorer county or somewhere that is allot cheaper to live, yeah there needs to be a cost of living adjustment in your salary....
  8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

All toll roads are for is for already corrupt governments to make additional money. They then use the money to fund more stupid social programs.

I already pay more taxes here in Missouri because I live in the city limits of a municipality.
  9. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Down in Charlotte they have everything ready for a toll road to get started near my house which the toll road comes from the middle of no where into Charlotte. They have been planning/designing/buying land for 10 years, to get it started this past summer but it has been halted due to environmentally studies that have been bought back on the table. Reason they halted the road, because of a endangered clam in one pond, the Carolina Heelspliter. I think its hilarious but really not looking forward to toll road coming whenever that will be.
  10. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I drive to Ontario, once, or twice, a year; we go into the US at Maine, take 95 to 495, to 90 into Buffalo, where we cross into Canada. Almost the entire trip is toll road. We have tolls in Maine, New Hampshire, Mass and NY; then we get hit with a $3 toll after we clear customs.

Why do we take that route, you ask? It's a little faster than going through Canada. Only by 3, or 4, hrs; but enough to make the tolls bearable.