Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Not sure what's going on ~ 2000 Silverado Electrical Issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Fatbs, May 31, 2013.

1. Fatbs

Fatbs New Member

Hello all in am new to this forum.

Name is David and I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 Lt with the 5.3

not sure how to explain this but i will do my best

Lately for some reason my electrical has been messing up. it is almost like i have turned the key off and back on. The whole dash "resets" itself The seat belt light start flashing, the odometer goes off then back on,etc. but the engine does not miss a beat. I have check the battery cables and tighten them. Any ideas on the next steps i need to take?

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

When does this happen? When you are driving? The engine and everything shuts off? Does the clock and stereo reset itself like it's lost all power to everything or does the engine just shut off?

First guess would be the battery and connections. I've had bad connections before, just make certain that everything is clean. After that you probably have a short somewhere that needs to be tracked down.

How many times has this happened?

3. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

He said, "the engine doesn't miss a beat", so it apparently does not shut off, or it happens instantaneously, and there is not discernable loss of power. Like Steve, my first impulse would be to check all the battery cables ends, remove, clean, reinstall. Also check the cables to be sure there is no insulation missing, which might contact metal briefly, causing a short. There is no other primary power source available, so I don't know what else it could be.

good luck.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sorry, I missed that part of it.

Also, check to make sure that all of the fuses and modules are properly seated in place.

5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the dash feed may be with connection problems. could be the dash panel will need replacing or repair.

it has been known that if you push too hard on the trip odo reset the dash panel circuit board will get damaged