1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Novice question about 2002 Tahoe trans. Would you try this?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by billsf100, Oct 20, 2013.

1. billsf100

billsf100 New Member

I purchased my 02 Tahoe used. One owner, but ran hard. It is 4WD, has a 5.3 Vortex, tow package, and 148K in miles. I change my own oil and filters, and plugs and wires. Beyond that, I am not very comfortable. Friend of mine said the trans fluid and filter needed changing. He said fluid was not "clean enough" or "it's not pink enough" I would be willing to bet it has never been changed. Local quick lube said they would do "a transmission Backflush" for $99.95, and the pan need not be dropped, or filter changed. If you were me, knowing how little experience I have, would you try the job yourself, filter and all? Or would you pay someone to do it. I am short on money, but good with time. If you think this is a job I can do, where can I find good instructions on the net? Thanks
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

you can do it. It just takes patience and a lot of rags! Chances are that you will spill fluid all over your garage floor. Sure, your pan may have a drain plug in it. But, I have never been able to get one out successfully. I have been told that you need to remove the pan and heat them up to break them loose. I do not believe in back flushes. Some say that it can move contaminants that are sitting in a spot where they are not causing hard to a spot where it will cause harm. Plus, that does not change the filter. It is pretty basic to do. You may have to remove the trans shift cable bracket from the side of the trans as it covers part of the pan. Drop the pan. Pull out the filter. Clean everything up very well. Put the new gasket on, install the new filter and reinstall the pan. (Some guys are totally against using any kind of gasket sealer on the gasket. I do not use any on a rubber gasket, I will use a thin layer on the mating surfaces of with a cork gasket.) You need to make sure that you do not over tighten the pan bolts. You can break them or smash the gasket and have a leak. Also, make sure that you don't reuse dextron III. I think that the new stuff is dextron IV or V. @j cat might be able to clarify what the proper fluid to replace it with is.

So, really there are a couple key things you need to remember
    1)Clean the mating surfaces well
    2)Do not over tighten.
    3)Fill to the correct level. DO NO OVERFILL!!

here is a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6THHOWxyV6I it is for a hd. But, gives you the idea.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Always be careful when you get to the last few bolts as you're dropping the pan because if you don't leave a few too keep it on you'll drop it and likely cover your self in ATF. Had it happen on my friends Sable, ATF doesn't taste very good and it ruins white clothing (other friend helping was in all white). The only worry with just dropping the pan is you don't get all the ATF out there will still be a lot in the torque converter.

The new fluid is Dexron VI there's only a few licensed manufactures of it. The only one that is easy to find would be Valvoline who is licensed to make it and its sold at most auto parts stores.

I've had a flush done on my truck by my shop which has a proper flush system and it worked great, but I had them also change the filter because the one in the tranny had 196,000 miles on it. I would not trust a quick lube shop to do the same service my shop did and I only trusted the shop to do it because the owner who has a Burb about the same age as mine has done it to his truck with no I'll effects. Plus the owner explained the whole process to me what it cleaned and how and then said he would do it him self on my truck to make sure it was done perfect.