Now my truck wont start??? 1994 Chevy 1500

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by bswalters, Apr 7, 2014.

1. bswalters

bswalters New Member

I have a 94 Chevy 1500 4.3 Vortec... I changed my battery today and now my truck wont start. I did a load test and tested my alternator and starter and they all passed. After putting in my new battery my truck wouldn't start. I have power to my truck but the starter doesn't make a sound or a click when I try to start my truck. Even when I put my old battery in it does the same thing. Does this sound like my starter went out?

2. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

What made you think it needed a new battery in the first place? Did you do a top off charge on the new battery before you put it in?
    Unless you can take it out and get it someplace to have it tested, I gotta say "yup!"

3. bswalters

bswalters New Member

I work at a battery store and tested the new one before and after I installed it. I also tested the old one and it barley passed but the cca were lower then my truck calls for.

- - - Updated - - -

My gauges, radio and lights work fine. We did a compression start yesterday and the truck ran fine. Just now sure if it is the starter or a solenoid

4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

5. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Well, I have seen where a dragging starter has killed a battery, when the starter finally died, it took the battery too!
    The solenoid will come on the starter, should, most likely, ought a!

- - - Updated - - -

if you work at a battery store, did you check the alternator, just for kicks?

6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You may have tripped the security system. I remember a couple of threads where the security system shut down after a battery change. I don't recall the fix. Try a search, see if anything pops up.