Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NP208 G Transfer Case

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ippielb, Aug 11, 2010.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So, i'm in need of a transfer case for my 1985 chev 4x4 truck, and i came across a rolling frame from an 87 chev truck, 80's body style, not the new independent suspension type. It has a both axles and driveshafts, a 350 engine with all the parts to make it run, with a turbo350 tranny, and a NP 208 G transfer case, the owner is telling me that the transfer case is gear driven, hense the G on the plate. I have never heard of a gear driven 208 before, i thought that the 205's are the only transfer cases that are gear driven.

Anyone shed some light for me?
  2. ippielb

Turns out it's a NPG 208 transfer case, which is New Products Gear 208. I found a website with a list of fender tag codes, and it has "DHE - NPG 205 Transfer Case... DHF - NPG 208 Transfer Cs (Synchron)" So, i'm thinking that this is a gear driven transfer case, but i've never EVER heard of a gear driven 208 transfer case before. I hope it is, that would be a nice transfer case to have for my truck. It'll bolt straight up with no need to change anything!
  3. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

One way to find out chains have slop gears dont, lock it up and twist the yokes. But I to have never heard of a gear drive 208 but the are metric so save the output shaft
  4. ippielb

Well, i will be picking it up tomorrow after work. I will definitely check that about the transfer case to see if it has slop or not. I've asked around and still no one else knows.