1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Nv3500 or nv4500

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by TheGMC, Dec 13, 2012.

1. TheGMC

TheGMC New Member

I have an 1988 gmc trying to find a transmisson for, its a heavy half ton (6lug) 2500 tags. What 5spd do i have NV3500 or NV4500:fighting0040:

2. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The 5 speed manual transmission used in 1988 was a HM-290, built by Muncie. The NV4500 was introduced in 1992 and the lighter-duty NV3500 came on in 1993.

3. TheGMC

TheGMC New Member

So will a NV4500 or NV3500 fit right in without any rigging? Im having a difficult time finding that transmisson.

4. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

i have the NV3500 in my truck... its pretty tough, dude. Its all aluminum and you can get a hurst shifter for it.
    I powershift and do burn outs and the thing that failed, was the rear carrier cracked in half.... the trasmission can take a beating

the NV4500 is a beast. it weights almost 200lbs without oil. and its all iron.
    so if your going with 14 bolt axles, a huge engine, and a extra reinforced mounted transfercase, get the NV4500.
    if your looking for something that will work and fit with stock, get the NV3500.

5. K15 Blazer Guy

The hurst shifer helps a lot too! X)
    IMG_0067.jpg

6. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I don't know much about the truck manual trannys, but that pic makes me want to swap in a manual in my Burb when I do the motor. I miss having a manual in a truck.

7. K15 Blazer Guy

yeah, i love it X)
    but i need a better clutch than stock... the master clynder is super weak, making the clutch way heavy... in stop and go it beats me up =(
    but it does help with gas millage and power when you want it =)