Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

O.K., I give up....where's the

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by KAHruzer, Oct 20, 2009.

1. KAHruzer

KAHruzer Member

under-hood light switch?

I'm pretty good at such things normally. But, this one has me baffled.

This is the one on the back edge of the hood, that comes ON when the hood is open, OFF when closed.
    I see it go OFF just before latching. But, no switch/contact to be found.

...it's magic.

It must be at the far end of the hood hinges, under the edge cover, or even back in under the dash....or, something.

Any hints?
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

if you can follow the wires from the light to wherever it goes. should go to a switch from there. I dont know since I dont have a light.
  3. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

my dodge light came on when my hood was up... And on my 08 silvy... if you try turning the "bright" switch all the way the interior lights and the bed light comes on so..that might work... ?
  4. KAHruzer

KAHruzer Member

Nope, nothing. The Dome Light Switch, on the dash light dimmer works fine. Doesn't affect the under hood light. And, the wires are bundled in a heat shield, makes a big arc and disappears through a hole in the firewall.

I figured there was a remote contact switch somewhere, connected to this circuit. But, I've traced the entire hood parimeter and there's just flat nothing.

Something has to trigger it, and the only moving parts are the hinges. They're kind of tucked back into a pocket at the end of the firewall. It's possible the back end of the hinges has a swingarm contact of some kind. I just didn't want to disassemble half the truck to see.

Welp, when all else fails, look at the manual. I've a Chilton's which I'm not very enamered with.
    Very generalized in most cases. Specifics seem to be stuff I already know.

I'll report back again.
  5. KAHruzer

KAHruzer Member

btw, my "Quick" reply button works only right up to the point of submitting the thing with "Post Quick Reply", then just hangs there forever. I have to Go Advanced to finish posting.

Is that me, or you guys?
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It probably has a mercury switch. :)
  7. KAHruzer

KAHruzer Member

Just made short work of the Chilton's manual. It doesn't have anything about the hood light. Just a three count list of instructions for removing the hood, with the 3rd being, "Installation is reverse order", as is customary in their manuals.
  8. KAHruzer

KAHruzer Member

I did actually look for a light sensor switch, the kind you wave your hand in front of to activate.
  9. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The mercury switch turns on when the light is raised above horizontal and off again when it hits a horizontal plane. Many vehicles use a switch like this as it saves extra wiring and switches.
  10. dvharris

dvharris New Member

i am pretty sure it is a mercury switch type. It's basically operating on gravity/vertical vs. horizontal position. To test it, try taking the assembly out, holding it horizontal like it would be when the hood is closed, then rotating it up to vertical and it should turn on.
    Of course, if it's working fine.....