OBD II Port

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by beakerss, Dec 4, 2009.

1. beakerss

beakerss New Member

the truck has thown a CEL and I am trying to get the code so i can fix it. I have tried 2 different readers and both have the same result nothing. This is kind of discerning as i have only had the truck for 3 months. The only thing i have added was Cruise Control, and a Viper 5101 remote start since i have added the truck. I have checked the fuses and all show good with a multimeter, Does anyone have any idea what may cause the port not to work? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What kind of a vehicle are we talking about??

3. beakerss

beakerss New Member

Sorry about that 2005 Silverado z71

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

OK, check for battery voltage and a good ground at the DLC.

[​IMG]

5. beakerss

beakerss New Member

okay after finally having time to look for why it didn't work. Found out the power wire burned up, shorted out causing the wire to melt. replaced the wire, and everything works okay. luckily it didnt burn out the ECM. thank you for the help.

6. 3fingers

3fingers New Member

obd2 port not working

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 4.3 and i cant figure out why the OBD2 port wont work? Please help i am at a stand still i have to be to work in an hour and have the whole damn thing taken apart

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  7. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

check your cig. lighter fuse... that fuse also powers the obd port...

8. Ronny

Ronny Rockstar

Hello.
    Putting my question up here as it seemed natural.
    I have a 2003 Suburban 8,1 and just recently figured out that my OBD port doesn`t work as I drove by the workshop to reset my airbag alarm.
    Read the thread here, and is it so that it is the cig lighter fuse that connects my OBD port as well? Haven`t found any other fuse particular for that use, nothing marked OBD.......
    As far as I can see all of my fuses are ok......so any other ideas ? Anything in particular to look for ?