OBD Indicator 0n

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jesus2324, Dec 16, 2010.

1. jesus2324

jesus2324 New Member

hello everyone, my question today is earlier today as i was driving i noticed that my truck said to change engine oil, so as i went to take it to get my oil changed the obd indicator came, i thought it would be because of the oil but as soon as the oil was changed the obd indicator was still on, does anybody know what it could be, any help would be appreciated.

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

For your 2005" Silverado,

On.....How to Reset the Engine Oil Life System:

The Engine Oil Life System calculates when to change your engine oil and filter based on vehicle use.
    Anytime your oil is changed, reset the system so it can calculate when the next oil change is required. If a situation occurs where you change your oil prior to a.... CHANGE ENGINE OIL...message being turned on, reset the system.To reset the Engine Oil Life System, do the following:

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine off.
    2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal three times within five seconds.
    If the OIL LIFE RESET message flashes for 10 seconds, the system is resetting.
    3. Turn the key to LOCK.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message comes back on when you start your vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure. If it still does
    not reset, see your dealer for service....

Also....What you are calling a......OBD indicator.....Is Called a.....DIC......Driver Information Center......Went Asking for Help and/or Advice Include All the information you can about your Truck.........Year/Model....Engine...Trans and so on......This way the other member's will be able to help you out and give you the Best information and/or Advice they can.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2!! i like the oil life monitor but i think it lies!! HAAH 10K miles is what it reccomeneded i change my oil at.. No thanks i wasnt willing to go beyond 9K with Royal purple full synthetic. and whoever changed the oil for you should have reset that indicator...