1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

OBD2 problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by hayking, Apr 26, 2008.

1. hayking

hayking New Member

Hi, have a 01 chev suburban. Check eng. light came on. Went to 2 different places and both could not get codes. Scanners should turn on with ign. and they will not. Screen stays blank. There is power to the OBD2 16 pin outlet port under dash, I believe on the bottom right. Also tried a friends new code reader which works perfect on my other truck but will not turn on with suburban. Any ideas? Thanks
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

My first thought was to check the OBD-2 connector power supply, but you indicate that it has power, so I will assume that it has power (though if you need to double check that, be sure it has power. It seems that most cases like this are the result of no power to the connector like when the fuse blows (I think it's the cigarette ligther fuse that feeds power to the OBD2 connector)).

Are the connector grounds good?
  3. hayking

hayking New Member

I beleive the grounds are OK. Just to be sure I jumped a 22ga. solid wire from gnd. pin to chassis grd. Still nothing. I also checked continuity from both grds to chassis grd and seemed fine. I believe there are 2 grounds on connector, chassis and signal. Less than 1 ohm on both. I get power (12vdc) from pin #16 with ign. on or off. If I check from pin 16 to pin 4 or 5 I also get 12vdc. THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS !!! Could it be a problem with the PCM? HELP!
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I'm sure it could be a problem with the PCM. Diagnosis is about sorting through the possible causes to find the real cause. Unfortunately I have no experience diagnosing this problem beyond checki9ng for power to the data link connector. If you can find a good wiring diagram, it might be worth the effort to make sure all the connections/wiring between the OBD-2 connector and the PCM are intact.
  5. hayking

hayking New Member

WHEW....3 1/2 hrs later and it was a bad connection under the dash. Repaired that and scanner worked wonderfully. Now I have a P0440 code to troubleshoot. I tell ya the fun never ends! Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.