OBS with NNBS style lights.

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Conlan Rose, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, I posted a blog about this a while back, I'm going to be moding my 96' Tahoe's upper reflectors so they are lit up like the NNBS Silverado.

I ordered the LEDs I will be using they are 5mm white LEDs I also bought some holders for them. I will drill small holes behind the reflector and attach the holder in place. Then if all goes as planned I will reattach the reflector no problem. This is of course if the reflector has enough room behind it.

I will do a full write up on how to do this later. Here are some pics so you can visualize my idea. Last picture is a reflection caused by the flash of my camera not post install.
    2012-12-22_15-39-23_135.jpg 2012-12-22_15-39-13_610.jpg
    silverado headlights.jpg 2012-12-21_08-12-03_269.jpg

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Should look nice :great:

3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

neat idea, good luck!

Alex

4. Conlan Rose

Thanks guys, The LEDs and holders will be in by the end of the week and I will install on Sunday if the temp is right. I will tie right in to the turn signal wires with quick splices. The LEDs come with resistors already built in.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  5. Conlan Rose

My LEDs finally came in :smile: Sadly it is far to cold to install. They are super bright and nice and compact. I will post pictures soon. I can't wait to do this mod. It will by far be the best ever.

Oh the wires on the LEDs are less than 18 AWG so how the heck do I splice them in? Should I find a way to attach them to larger wires.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I found some solder laying around the house and my dads old soldering iron. I think I will solder the wires to larger gauge ones then splice in. Just need some info on soldering and if the solder I have is good, its Archer (Radioshack's former house brand) rosin core solder, 60% tin 40% lead. The iron is and Archer #64-2191 75w soldering gun.

6. Conlan Rose

Taught my self to solder today. I need a lot of practice but at least I know how.

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It's all about heat control.

8. Conlan Rose

The problem is my older gun has trouble heating up so I'm buying a new iron what wattage should I get

9. Conlan Rose

Just learned of a problem I may have with my LEDs. The marker lamps don't have one sided polarity on the OBS trucks it switches depending on whether it is getting power from the turn signal flasher or the headlight switch. This means that I need to wire the LEDs totally different than planned. I will need to tap in to one side of the marker lamp harness and then ground the LEDs separately. That will increase the amount of wire needed a decent amount.
    2012-12-15_14-03-34_945.jpg
    P2020060.jpg P2020058.jpg P2020059.jpg