1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Odd clicking when power on and power off..A/C?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Gryphon, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Rockstar 100 Posts

Greetings all! I am at a '94 C2500 to buy. I have't seen the truck...I'm out of town...but Dad drove it a little bit ago. He said it all checked out fine (Dad's an old mechanic) except for an odd clicking noise when you turn the key on and it does it again when you turn it off.

Turn key to power on...click click.click for a few seconds, then it stops. Same when key is switched off.

Starts fine...like and good 350 should...think about the starter and she fires right up. Drives and accelerates good. No hesitations. Trans kick-down may need adjusting. He says it has a slight hesitation when you stomp on it.

A/C does not work. Wondering if the pump is seized and the solenoid is trying to kick in and making the clicking noise.

All I know about the truck: 1994 C2500, 180k miles. Surplus Forest Service truck. 350 engine/auto trans. No codes or dash warning lights. All fluids look good and all guages read normal. PVC is broken and needs to be replaced. No oil drips, just normal seepage on the valve covers. No lifter ticks or odd engine noises. CLicking starts at power on, lasts maybe five seconds, then stops until the engine is turned off. Starts fine cold or hot.

Just looking for opinions and ideas. Like I said, I havent seen the truck nor have I agreed to buy it yet, just looking at possibilities.

Thanks all!
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I'm not sure about the clicking but I am curious as to asking price. Overall the truck sounds like it's in pretty good shape.
  3. Gryphon

$1500.

I'm also wondering if it's the fuel pump relay. That makes more sense to my mind. Just getting old and worn. Could account for the hesitation too...too much draw for the old contacts to handle immediately.
  4. Gryphon

Web search came up with a fresh air door actuator is stuck and needs to be replaced. I'm cool with that problem. Just manually pull the door shut and unplug the actuator until I can order a new one.
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If there are no major problems, which it doesn't appear that there are, sounds like a pretty good deal. There are several for sale in my area and they are priced from $3,000 to $7,000.
  6. Gryphon

Yeah, I think I'm gonna pop on it. I'm waiting for a buddy of mine who has a couple trucks for sale to get me out to see them, but I'm getting tired of waiting on him. One is a theft-recovery Dodge and a Toyota Tundra. Be kinda nice having some continuity in the fleet tho...already got a 350 Suburban.
  7. socom403

socom403 New Member

i just bought a 94 c1500 last week, does the same thing and the a/c only works sometimes. from what i've researched, it is the recirc door actuator like you said. i guess the clicking is the gear in it. it's stripped so when it's supposed to stop, it just keeps going and times out after a little bit. i plan on taking it into the shop soon and see what he thinks.
  8. Gryphon

Instead of taking it to a shop why not just take a look first? Get up under your dash and see if you can find the actuator. It's a rectangular box on the side of the hvac box. Unplug it and see what happens. It's like 30 bucks online for a new one.
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would have to agree with the fuel pump relay. The AC compressor may not be operating if it is low on freon.
  10. Gryphon

Truck runs fine and the clicking is from under the glovebox. When I get my hands on it, I'll run some diagnostics and see what turns up.