1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

odd sounds!?

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by lidz05, Feb 17, 2010.

1. lidz05

lidz05 New Member

My blazer, when cold, starts up and drives with a loud (fan-like) sound. It stops after maybe a minute...is this something to be concerned about?
    Also, there is a light whining sound when the car is idle then gets slightly louder when accelerating. The sound seems to be from the engine, but unsure where exactly?

Thanks for helping me build my automotive IQ.....
  2. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

The fan like sound at startup is just that, the fan is driven 100% until the silicone in the fan clutch warms up and the fan starts to slip.

The squeel could be your belt tension idle pully or your alternator bearings, water pump...something driven. You can often locate which component by placing a long screwdriver near each one and placing your ear on the handle. Just be careful of the moving parts!
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the squeel could also ba a whole in the flex tube in the air intake, the fan sound coul also be the blower fan