OEM aluminum alloy wheel fell apart

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by b-radical, Mar 12, 2012.

1. b-radical

b-radical Rockstar 100 Posts

View attachment 36037
    Has anyone seen this happen before? I was flagged down and told my wheel was wobbling. When I went to look this is what I found. I don't offroad or abuse my truck. How could this happen?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I personally have never seen this happen except in an accident.. kinda scary!

3. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 Rockstar 100 Posts

WHOA! Cant believe that happened in your kind of climate over there....ive seen salt damage cause that once...

4. Dukeschevy

Dukeschevy Rockstar 100 Posts

Holy Crap! Any potholes where you drive? I also have only seen that from accidents and pothole damage

5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

yeah thats ridiculous. i put those style rims on my 03 and now you have me worried

6. b-radical

b-radical Rockstar 100 Posts

ok, I tried to get reinbursed through Chevrolet customer service. I took it to the local dealer where I have a semi ropport with one of the body shop guys. After carefull investigation they determined it was due to hitting something. I Never remember hitting anything, I dont offroad or abuse my truck. We noticed rub marks on the other 3 rims, so that means it is possoble for something to get past the considerable side wall of my 265/75/16 tires. After months of thought and investigation I think I've cracked the case.

There is a particular parking spot at wok that could be the perfect culprit. I frequently back in to it with the exact rim that was damaged closest to the tip of a penninsula shaped curb. I U-turn around it from my parking space when I leave work. Its possible that as I turned the wheel around the curb the tire was pushed in, exposing the bare rim to the curb while rotating.

I'm still looking for other possibilities. I'll keep you posted on what else I find.

7. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I saw something like that happen from being backed into with a reese hitch installed. Popped about a 6" chunk right off the lip.

8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Meybe a bad casting... Did the dealer give you a new one?

9. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I was thinking you hit a curb without realizing it. Kinda scary yes but glad you didn't find out the other way.

10. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I actually had a buddy who's rim had this exact same thing happen to him as well. But we have extreme salt.