1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

OEM Nav or AM System?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by itmikeh, Jan 22, 2010.

1. itmikeh

itmikeh New Member

Hey all,

I am new to the forums and just bought my first Chevy truck. It's awesome! A 2005 Suburban Z71. I did drive Jeeps for a long time cuz a family member works there, but was tired of them and wanted a real truck!

I have a problem with the factory nav/cd system on the truck. I already talked with the dealer and they said it would be a bout $500 to refurbish the nav/cd player. I know new ones are like 2k from GM - not happening!

So, what I was wondering is if I should stick with the factory GM nav/cd system or can I go with an AM system? I want to leave the option open of using the onstar system sometime in the future, but what I don't know is how the factory nav system ties into the onstar. Are AM systems able to utilize the onstar?

Thanks for any help!
  2. MS03

MS03 New Member

A OEM is easier to integrate into the Truck.

After market has way more features and better sound.
  3. Stealth

Stealth New Member 1000 Posts

My vote is aftermarket, it will have increased capability and it should have better support than a factory system, just my vote
  4. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

Aftermarket systems are able to use the onstar feature. You just need to buy a harness adapter for it. My vote is for the aftermarket. If you decide to stay with the factory check out the prices for the Nav unit on www.gmpartsclub.com
  5. MS03

MS03 New Member

Some aftermarket units have harddrives that can store music.So I just it's what features you want.
  6. itmikeh

itmikeh New Member

Thanks for all the replies....I will prolly go with an aftermarket.
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

OEM Nav or AM System

Check out Crutchfield.com for your aftermarket system.