OEM speakers question

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Chaser1, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Chaser1

Chaser1 New Member

My truck has 4 speakers and a 12' sub all of them run off a 1100 watt amp and it receantly stopped working, now I want to run the speakers separete from the sub so I was wondering if a 300 watt amp will be enough or to much for my OEM speakers.
  2. MTPockets

MTPockets New Member

It might be a little to much considering most decks will put out 20-25 watts per speaker. But on the other hand, a lot of speakers are destroyed by distortion which a sign of being under powered.
    I would replace the OEM speakers with some nice aftermarket speakers then run them off of your amp.
  3. Chaser1

Chaser1 New Member

Would you happen to know of a smaller watt amp?? I think the best solution will be to replace the speaker for something aftermarket.
  4. MTPockets

MTPockets New Member

If it were me I would buy some aftermarket speakers and then run them with the 300 watt amp. Most aftermarket speakers can handle the higher wattage.
    Another thing to consider is, not all amps are rated the same. Usually the cheaper amps/no name brand amps will rate their power higher than others just to get you to buy them. Make sure your reading the RMS value of the amp, it is very different from peak wattage which is what the cheaper brands will rate their amps. Other than that I hope this is some what helpful and good luck. :great:
  5. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

if you are insistant on keeping the stockers, i would just buy some inline baseblockers and run the speakers off of the deck power. to me just not worth the money to invest in an amp and wiring to connect it to factory crap
  6. Chaser1

Chaser1 New Member

Thanks for the info guys!! Would any of you happen to know what are the speaker sizes that I need or were can I get this info????
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Should be a 6 1/2" speaker. Bestbuy or any of those will have fitment guides and that is what best buy shows.