1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Off road and towing prowess ~ Chevy Express Vans

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by blackburb, Mar 13, 2013.

1. blackburb

blackburb Member

I am currently contemplating moving up from my 94 Suburban to a 00-03. While searching the net, I learned that there are Express vans with AWD. A van might actually be better for me as it would have more interior room (with all the back seats out) than a Burb. However, I need it to tow 6000lbs + and also get me into our hunting camp. It's not big time mudding or rock crawling, but it is 6 miles of off road two track ruts and rocks. How would a 1/2 ton Express with the 5.3 handle the towing and off road stuff?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Its been a while, but i'm pretty sure that the towing stats are at or near the trucks of the same powerplant and tranny configuration. I towed with a mid-90's, but that was a HD van and it was 60% on pavement and 40% on compact dirt and some gravel. Never had any issues, but it was a heavier-duty setup. Let me look up the towing specs when I get to a computer again, unless someone else knows.
  3. tsbrewers

tsbrewers Member

the towing part is where they get ya. I am sure you could do it if it was just occasionally, I used my '00 Silverado 1500 to tow that much quite a few times with out a problem, just wasn't fun doing it.

Personally if I were REAL serious about it, I would look for a used Quigley converted van. Full 4 wheel drive, and you can get them in heavier versions (2500, 3500, etc) BUT, there is a huge price difference. Probably close to 10k for the van with a conversion.

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Products/GMProducts/GMProductsHome.aspx
  4. CHEVYVANMAN

CHEVYVANMAN Member

My awd van has hauled a bob cat and then went back for a mini excavator,,

It hauls it ok it's the stopping that will scare you!!

Mine is awd,, off roads are not a problem either,, it's clearance that bites you in the ass