1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Off-road camper vans? Does anyone make one out of a Chevy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by ChevyFan, Oct 12, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just saw this video and I have to admit that I"m impressed with all of the gear and the off-road thought that went into this van ... but does anyone make one out of the extended Chevy Express van? Anyone know? In this video is a SportsMobile Ford van.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF4paczPcf0

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, can't hate on these guys. Take a look a this van setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XkUvYn-T0M

SportsMobile Expidition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZY1MvBjYfk
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Quigley still makes Chevy conversions.
    http://www.quigley4x4.com/AboutUs/AboutQuigley.aspx
    I owned a Quigley in the mid 90's when we were stationed in Europe, it attracted lots of attention over there but being a self contained camper with sleeping, cooking, bathing, and full entertainment facilities it was the perfect European travel vehicle for my wife, daughter, and myself.
    Quigley vans are expensive though, I got lucky and purchased mine used (17,000kms) due to a distress sale for $22,000 Euro.
    At the time the Euro was devalued, after the exchange rate it ended up being $15,000 U.S.
  3. ChevyFan

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Quigley will design whatever interior you want or use yor layout provided its workable.
    Mine was a rear queen bed with single bunk above, the going from rear to front on left side enclosed stand-up shower that doubled as toilet stall, sink/cook top counter with cupboard below, right side had entertainment console with t.v., vcr,.
    We also had the pop up roof and you could place a platform and mattress up there for another queen bed.
    Water heater was from a manifold on the engine exhaust, with a 12v water pump presurizing a 20 gal potable tank, you can dump overboard or into a 25 gal black water tank.
    Our van was also a right hand drive conversion by quigley being it was shipped to England originally, and it had a Cat normally aspirated 6cyl diesel.
    Came outfitted with ship shore radio, HAM, and C.B.
    With Quigley all you have to do is ask them to build it then be prepared to pay.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Been in a few Quigley's they are sweet.. Saw 1 used about 2 years ago for about $19K Spoke to the guy and he was just getting a newer one.
  6. ChevyFan

Wonder if we can get ahold of them and borrow a couple fir a short road trip. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I looked at their website and the last prices and options are for 2010. I contacted them ... hopefully they're still doing these and for vehicles newer than 2010.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

8. tsbrewers

tsbrewers Member

9. ChevyFan

Where did you come from? Lol.

20 posts since 2006?
  10. tsbrewers

tsbrewers Member

Outer space. :)

I am sure I belong to no less than 300 message boards across the net, probably 20 different ones dedicated to chevy trucks. (I have 4 chevies in the driveway) This one happens to be one of the few that has an Express van area, and since I picked up an Express recently for a work vehicle, it brought me back here. So I help where I can, and learn what I can.

Just wish there was a larger enthusiasts following for these vans. I quickly figured out there is very little aftermarket support, and very little "excitement" over the beasts. :) But love mine so far. even if it is just a plain cargo van.