1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Off-Road Disaster /:

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by PBSTAG, Oct 28, 2012.

1. PBSTAG

PBSTAG New Member

Howdy! Im new to the forum and need some help. Im PBSTAG and I love off-roadin! Although, the other day it didnt love me so much.. Hows a whole a-arm gettin ripped off sound? Well, it happened and Im needing some help. I have a 95 K1500, 2in level kit, Dick Cepek DC 2 rims, and 33in Nitto Dune Grapplers.(not so good in mud but look BA) But any of the way. Im needin help on how to remove my torsion bar and key. I had the level put on professionaly and would get it re-done, but its kinda hard to get somewhere with 3 wheels. lol. Anybody done this themselves and tips on keeping all body parts? Ive heard it can be dangerous. Thanks all!

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      49.1 KB
      Views:
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Welcome to GM Truck Club! :great:

I'm unable to help with your issue. If you don't get a response in the next day or so on this then I recommend posting your inquiry in the 'GM Tech Forums' section specific to your vehicle ... or in the 'General Tech Forums' section as appropriate to the type of issue you have. You'll reach a wider group of the forum members that way ... and target your inquiry more directly to those who might already have experience with it.
  3. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, glad to have you
  4. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you aboard. Nice truck man. :glasses:
  5. Bighornkid

Bighornkid Member 100 Posts

Welcome to The Club.
  6. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Moved to tech forum.

(Where is the "This Thread is worthless without pics" emoticon. Just to satisfy that little part of me that gets perverse pleasure in other people's pain, I want to see just what it means when you "rip-off an a arm")

I wish I could help, but I haven't ever had to take my front end that far apart.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm just guessing it was the lower "A" arm that got ripped off.
    With the lower "A" arm out of the way it should have relieved the pressure from the torsion bar and you should be able to remove the key and then the torsion bar.
    But accident damages dont always disassemble things in a logical order so their could be something else keeping the pressure up or the torsion bar could be wedged in or bent, really a hard situation to diagnose without actually being there to assess things.
  8. PBSTAG

PBSTAG New Member

Ok sorry about the pics MrShorty, I havent really thought about snapping some pics of it but will get right on that!
    And tbplus10, yes sir thats the deal here! I have takin everything off and the only thing holdin me up is that daggum torsion bar. Ive seen a couple things on Youtube but it doesnt look safe at all! Id like to be safe at all times doing this, I gotta work! Im not really wanting to spend $200 on a puller Im only gonna use this once. So any redneck ways about doing this?
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If it's still hung up after removing everything I'm not sure how you'll be able to get it out, this sounds like a situation where your gonna have to get inventive.
    Not sure if you plan on reusing the torsion bar but almost any "redneck" method I can think of doesnt include reinstalling this particular one.
    Is it possible to heat it with a torch and let it twist itself to relieve the pressure?
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

does autozone or a place like that rent the tool? I want to see pics also!! I took my 95 with 38.5 baja claws thru some crazy crap and beat the heck out of her. But, I never managed to rip off a control arm. Pics with explanation of the situation..PLEASE!