off road lights

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by lend, Dec 25, 2010.

1. lend

lend New Member

I have a 07 gmc 2500hd I would like to install off road fog lights on my bull bar. can I wire them to my factory fog lights so I don't have to install a switch in inside my cab.

2. crghou

crghou New Member

I dont think you can because the aftermarkets will pull more power then the factory harness can support...but I could be wrong

3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Depends on how many lights and how many watts but I wouldn't wire any auxiliary lights into the stock fog light harness, I would think that it would be too much of a strain on the stock wiring. That, and you wouldn't get consistent power to all the lights if they all were on the same wiring.

4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Lend, welcome to the GM truck club. Just figure out what the amprege draw of the stock lights is & if your new lights are the same, then you're good to go with the stock wireing.
    I don't think offroad "fog" lights are going to draw much more than stock. Where most people get into trouble is when they install off road "driving" lights that are rated at 200,000 or 300,000 candle power.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Shouldnt be a problem wiring them to turn on from your factory fog lamp switch, use a relay wired off the factory fog light harness for each set of lights you use.
    The relay only uses a signal wire (low amp) that wont affect the power requirements of the fogs, the power for the off-road lights will come through the other posts on the relay.

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club.