Off Road U Joint Help

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by ShaneB, Aug 2, 2012.

1. ShaneB

ShaneB New Member

I am wanting to swap out U joints on my 95 GMC K1500. But I am unsure of exactly how many there are on the truck and what other parts are easy to replace while the u joints are already out. Any help?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

I think from looking at the pic of your truck you have a short bed, which means you have a short driveshaft with U-joints at the trans tailshaft and the pinion, so two sets.
    Theres really not anything else to replace at the same time. If your gonna do this on your own be careful of trans fluid coming out the tailshaft of the trans snd mske sure you mark the driveshaft, pinion, yoke, and tailshaft for reference points before disassembling everything so you get them back together the same and hopefully avoid any balance issues.
  3. ShaneB

ShaneB New Member

Yeah it's a short bed, short cab. What can you tell me about the differences in maintaining the sealed vs non sealed and greaseable vs non greaseable options. I am in the middle of a ground up rehab on this old rig and would like to not waste my time with any asphalt only parts.
  4. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member

Look for Spicer brand u-joints. They are the highest quality u-joint on the market. I always install greaseable u-joints in my vehicles. I like being able to push out all the old contaminated grease after water crossings or mud. I just grease them at every oil change and keep pumping grease into them until all the old grease is pushed out the seals and all I see coming out is the new grease.
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

Ox is another brand that makes U joints. I think theirs are also rebuildable.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Like Boonduff said Spicer Greasable are probably the best around, I've seen OX brand before but they dont seem to be carried everywhere.
    Even if you dont off-road your truck your better off with greasable U-joints, they just seem to last longer. just hit the zert fittings every time you do an oil change.
  7. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member

The mistake I made changing my 4wd driveshaft U joints was not buying greaseable ones.