Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

off the wall but here goes

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cobra2end, Mar 14, 2010.

1. cobra2end

cobra2end Rockstar 100 Posts

The 5.7 motor has a black box on the intake right behind the throttle body. Any ideas what it is for ? Ive been looking at the cold air intakes most of them get rid of this box. I cant afford to get one right now but what if i went and took the box off and plugged the hole. Think it would do any good. Being poor sometimes sucks you always think up strange stuff.

2. 08crewcabhd

08crewcabhd New Member

im not sure what its for but the truck is fine without it i put a cold air kit on my 96 350 vortec and that thing went in the trrash, i know they are not cheap but they are worth the money, the only thing i dont recomend is the throtle body spacer i should have just burned my 100 bucks on that one

3. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

That box is a noise suppressor put on by the engineers. There's another one between the fender and the filter box. They put them in to make the govment happy.
    I used stainless duct tape to cover the inlet on the one by the fender, and fitted a paint can cap into the one on the tb. Looks stock, flows better, sounds better.
    These are why everyone says their truck sounds better when they add a CAI - no mufflers.

Good luck,

4. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Throttle body spacers are only benificial on trucks with throttle body injection, not on vehicles with sequential fuel injection like the '96 and newer vortecs.

5. cobra2end

Sweet thanks guys I never thought of a paint can cap to plug it off Ill have to try it.

6. 08crewcabhd

08crewcabhd New Member

well the guy at summit should have told me that before i ordered it

anyways you need to do the cold air kit on your truck i did mine at 230 thousand miles on my original motor along with dual exhaust and the power increase was very noticable

7. cobra2end

Right now i have a k and N airfilter, the exhaust reworked and small add on stuff for looks. Its coming along slowly