Offset steering wheel and loose steering 99 GMC Suburban 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by f9sully, Jul 12, 2013.

1. f9sully

f9sully New Member

Hi all,
    New to board and have spent a little on previous posts, but I haven't seen mention of offset steering wheel with the usual float/loose steering issues. My steering wheel is offset about 20 degrees left to maintain straight when driving. The steering wanders a bit and has a dead zone of about +/- 10 degrees. The truck was recently aligned with no help. I am leaning towards the steering box but wanted to get any other ideas. The rig has 127k miles.

Thanks.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to GMTC! Does your Suburban have the speed sensitive steering system? I have seen some guys with issues with dead spots with those systems. There is a plug on either the power steering unit or the gear box. I am pretty sure it is a electronic connector on the pump. If you disconnect the connector the electronic valving no longer woks and the system reverts back to a regular power steering system. I would try disconnecting the electronics from the PS pump and see if it fixes your dead zone.

3. f9sully

f9sully New Member

I'm not sure whether I have the speed compensating system or not. I will take a look tomorrow morning.

thanks for the advice.