1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oh, deer! (dashcam video)

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by SurrealOne, Apr 8, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I thought I'd share this since I knew the dash cam caught it, yesterday. Interestingly I've usually got a flood of light in front of me, but I was troubleshooting my fogs (which turned out to be a melted, yes MELTED fuse in an inline fuse holder), yesterday. So both my fogs and Specters were off -- leaving me with just low beams at dusk.

The nose of the truck dips at 5 seconds into the video -- for a good reason. At 6.5 - 7 seconds you'll see the flash of a white tail on the left hand side of the road (opposite the swervy road sign, on the right)...

I'll be raising the priority of tying some things into the Bussmann relay kit, this weekend, as a result...
  2. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member 100 Posts

but wheres the deer? :rofl:
  3. SurrealOne

Exactly where I want it to be -- i.e. not being picked out of the grille (or, rather, engine compartment) of my truck!
  4. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member 100 Posts

I figured out the problem, the deer mistook the corner sign for a deer crossing sign
  5. SurrealOne

I'd have had a good shot of him if I'd had all of my lights on. I'd probably have seen him from a lot farther away, too.
  6. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member 100 Posts

Yea those lights need to go the top of the list. I hope we do not get a video of that white tail in the grille next time.
  7. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Member 100 Posts

Yeah all deer know they shouldn't be crossing unless they are in a deer crossing zone :rofl: (assuming you're referencing the move the deer crossings video)

I must say for a dashcam that is a nice quality video.
  8. SurrealOne

@FrigginNoodles, blackbox cams have come a long, long way. I suspect they'll get super nice (and even cheaper) in the next few years, as WiFi connectivity to them (for management, vid retrieval, and even streaming from them) is beginning to makes its way into units, today.

@ChromeSilver02, the issue's already fixed ... specifically because of the troubleshooting I did on that drive. (I'd tweak something, drive a bit while paying attention, pull over, adjust something, and lather/rinse/repeat.) :)
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Which model dash cam is that [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION]?
  10. SurrealOne

@Pikey, It's a FineVu CR-500HD. Here's a good article: http://dashcamtalk.com/finevu-cr-500hd/, also note US models have a black ring (instead of silver) around the camera lens. Before purchase I read some reports of the camera getting hot. So far it's like any black electronic device that hangs in the window -- warm to the touch in part from internal heat and in part from heat absorption. I've never found it to be unusually hot. We'll see how it does this summer. :)

I did not buy the optional GPS as I didn't like the idea of speed displayed on the camera. I don't speed, but it's still something someone could try to use against me ... and I don't like the idea of my own tech being turned on me.

The optional battery monitoring thing from FineVu is junk, by the way. Power Magic Pro devices are superior in every way for about the same money.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013