Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

OHC installed.

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Jimmeh, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Got this OHC this week and started the install last night, but since I'm on call I had to quit early and go take care of a customer, and by the time I got home it was too late. Finished it up just a few minutes ago and took a cell pic of it. Still need to wire it, but it's bitterly cold out today, and my fingers don't work that great in the cold, lol.

[​IMG]

Anybody know what the black thing on the side is for? It has wiring as well. Thinking it's supposed to be for on star or something since it looks like a speaker. Let me know what you think! It actually matches my head liner, but it needs to be cleaned.
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

looks nice, how hard was that to do?

(besides cold fingers)

Alex
  3. Jimmeh

Hardest part was committing to the cuts on the head liner. I would suggest at least dropping the front drivers side down to see where the holes for the rear section are (all you need to do is take the visor, A pillar cover, (if you have four doors) door latch cover and rear grab handle off to drop that part down). Also, not sure how anybody else might have fastened the front part, but I cut a small 1/4" thick piece of plywood and put it up at the front to use as a backer for the screw that holds it. I plan on doing more of a writeup when I wire it up, which may be tomorrow or after it warms up a bit, we will see.
  4. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Looks good. I added one to my '99, too, and love it. I think you're right on black thing, but probably the mic.

As far as wiring, I'm not familiar with your year. My console was from the same era as my truck, so the mounting points, and wiring, were already up there, just hiding behind the headliner. Is there a wiring harness up there?
  5. Jimmeh

There might be, but I didn't cut a ton of the headliner out. I figured I would just run a wire to my dome lamp and one for a ground and call it a day. I want the lights to come on with my dome anyway.
  6. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

That's the onstar mic. Good job, looks factory. What year/model/cab truck is that in?
  7. Jimmeh

All the truck info is in my sig. 05 Ex cab Silverado.
  8. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That console looks good. I like the full length ones.

like zigger said, that is the OnStar microphone. It just unclips if you want to get rid of it.

For the screw on the front, it works the same way as the sunvisor screws - there is a little metal insert that pops into the square hole in the roof frame that the screw goes into. When I installed the overhead console in my Silverado, I just went to the junkyard and got one of the little metal clips for that are for the sunvisor screws (it is the exact same part) and popped it in there so the screw worked the factory way. It was even such a small part that the guy at the junkyard gave it to me for free.
  9. Jimmeh

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to call around and see if any of the junk yards have any tahoes/suburbans/silverados. Most of the ones around here have really old cars the newest being like early 90's.

And actually, if you ever go to the junk yard and happen across one, I will gladly pay shipping and then some if you could get one for me!
  10. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If I get a chance, I'll see what I can find. Most of the pull-it-yourself yards are the same way here - one has just started to get some of the 99+ GM's occasionally. I got mine from a yard that pulled it out of a truck for me, and they still didn't charge me. If I find one though, it would fit in a normal envelope, so it wouldn't be an issue to send your way.