1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil Change Intervals

Discussion in '1st Synthetics' started by 1st Synthetics, Mar 10, 2009.

1. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Do you have a set Oil Change Interval?

If So How Often Do You Change Your Oil?

How Many Times a Year Does That Equal?

And That Costs What Each year?

Amsoil Touts 25,000 mile or One Year Intervals.

If You Changed Your Oil Three Times A Year Now, How Much Would You Save With One
    Amsoil Change A Year?

Click here to see our online catalog.
  2. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i usually buy all my oil when i catch it on sale. i bought 19 quarts of penns oil platinum at $5 a quart, so i am good for a while. i change every 8000 miles. the time duration varies due to me not knowing when i will be driving or riding into work. i am however, thinking about seeing if my uncle will buy all my penns oil so i can switch to amsoil!
  3. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

well for me Protection is everything, i change it myself, about ever 3-4000 miles with synthetic oil

5W-30 something.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. chance

chance Member

Yeah I want to start usin AMSOIL!!!
  5. 1st Synthetics

Preferred Customers Save Up To 25% Across The Board On ALL Amsoil Products.

Check out the latest Comparative Motor Oil Testing Brochure.

There is no need to ever change your oil every 3K to 5K miles. AMSOIL is the only 100% synthetic oil on the market, and that is why we are the only oil that can go 25,000 miles or 1 year on a oil change.
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I did a synthetic test a year ago in my commuter car and I checked it every so-often, started at 3,000 - oil looked fine. Then looked again around 5,000 - oil still looked good. Then again at 7,500 miles, oil started to look darker a little bit. By the time I got to 10,000 miles not only was it much darker, I had either burned some up or developed a leak (which I don't see because there are not any slicks on my driveway at all) ... the dipstick read way below minimum, so it was probably down a full quart and 1/2 maybe?

Since then, I said WHA?? and have been getting conventional oil and changing out around 5K and have not seen much loss during the last change or two.
  7. 1st Synthetics

What synthetic blend were you running Steve?

No Synthetic blend is designed for 10K miles that I know of.

Check this out 409,000-Mile Oil Drain Brochure
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I forget the specifics of what it was and was not supposed to do, how many miles, etc. I think it was Mobile 1, and perhaps it was something in my engine for all I know. I didn't think that it was worth the extra expense and trouble for what was essentially a commuter vehicle that I only drove 4 days per week to work and back home when it didn't seem to perform much better than what I was currently doing.

My goals now are to keep the vehicle running for at least 125k (it's at 90k now), get the interior/exterior cleaned up a bit and just keep rolling so I don't have another car payment for the next 2 years give/take.
  9. 1st Synthetics

Ya Mobil 1 is only good for 5k to 7.5K depending on witch line it was. Good oil just can not do the extended drain interval with it.
  10. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I run Royal Purple full synthetic 10w 30. With a KN oil filter.
    I chanded filter and added a quart @ 4,000 miles then at 8k I will do the same, then @ 12k completly change everything.
    Its about 46.00 w a filter for all 6 quarts when I started on sythetic.