1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil Change

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by iPublicEnemy47, Nov 6, 2009.

1. iPublicEnemy47

iPublicEnemy47 New Member

hey whats up? i know long time ... Life has been really complicated atm ...

but anyways...

Im doing my own oil change tomorrow ... first I have done it in about 5 years ... :gasp:

is it easier if I jack my truck up or no?

ps. any hints on how to loosen up the drain plug
  2. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member

I usually jack the front up just a couple of pumps... Since the darin plag is on the back side of the oil pan (well, that's where it is on my Av...). My drain plug has never been hard to remove on any of my vehicles... The filter on the other hand, they can be a PITA...
  3. iPublicEnemy47

ok thanks man
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

When loosening a tight fastener it is always a good idea to give it a tap or two with something metal to break up any corrosion/binding. Wouldn't expect to find that on an oil drain plug of course.

Another trick is to give your wrench a sharp rap with a hammer. Make sure you preload the wrench so you aren't rounding off the nut/bolt. This is a poor mans impact wrench.The sharp rap will generate very high peak torque.

Luck
    Charlie
  5. iPublicEnemy47

K thanks for the info ... I changed it and everything went fine... I didnt end up jacking up the truck either...

Anyone know how to reset the oil change light?
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

To reset the Changed Oil light,turn the key to the on Position With out Starting the motor on,and step on the Gas Pedal 3 times to the floor,I think inside of 10 seconds.The DIC will flash a few times went you are done.
  7. iPublicEnemy47

thanks man it work perfect