1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil Comsumption for 5.3L AFM Engines No Longer an Issue for 2012-2013?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Nov 26, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

According to a TSB I read, has the oil consumption problem for 2012-2013 AFM engines no longer an issue?

Does anyone on the forum have a 2012 or 2013 AFM engine that consumes oil?

I disabled AFM on my 2013 and when I changed the oil after over 5000 miles, I was maybe 0.25-0.5 quart low. I think less than a quart after 5K miles is acceptable oil consumption for any engine.

Thanks.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=tGyWZPqSSsjC59rzxv3UrA&bvm=bv.57155469,d.cWc
  2. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

My 5.3 is a 2011 and I dont have an oil consumption issue, but I only have 10 k miles on her, and to be on the safe side, I am adding the AFM range technology device next month, just in case. I have put about 3500 miles on it since the last oil change, and its still running on a full belly, no loss of oil so far. I will assume that I will have issues given the scope of this problem.I often wonder why some shade tree greedy lawyer has not jumped all over this with a class action, they normally get wood over stuff like this, lol
  3. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My guess is it is happening to ~1% of the AFM engines out there.
  4. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

its good that it may not be wide spread, I would hate knowing my well loved truck was doing that,
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think the issue was solved by time the 2011 trucks were brought to market.
    It normally shows up on trucks from 2007 to 2010.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Should not be a problem anymore I think GM took care of THERE problem..
  7. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 100 Posts

I had been away from gasser for a decade, and while waiting for the dealer to get my 2013 Silverado with 5.3L ready for me, I started checking out things about it and ran across this AFM oil burning issue. I was not going to play a wait and see game to see "if" GM had gotten their act together on these AFM engines. I put on the Range AFM delete module at 240 miles on the odometer. At 1200 miles, it got the first oil change and filled with synthetic. At the same time, I put on a PCV oil catch can to keep oil out of the intake and creating deposits on valves. Hoping that, if there is still some issue with oil consumption, that these preemptive strikes will prevent bad things. Will probably get around to just doing an ECM tune in the near future. More than likely, the Diablo tune with Lew's enhancements.
  8. peteylee1

peteylee1 New Member

Wow the stuff I find out here is amazing, I have a 2008 with AFM. It was my dads truck, when he had it something broke or bent (I think a lifter or a pushrod, may have even been a rocker) due to the AFM. needless to say everything has been replaced in the top of the engine and she runs great now. But........now Ive had the truck about 2 months now and I noticed when I check the oil it is usually low. It has 153,000 miles on it now could this be due to the AFM????