1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil consumption 07 5.3

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Farmerdave, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Farmerdave

Farmerdave Rockstar 100 Posts

So I have owned my truck since it had 42k on it now it has 69k over the past few months I have been noticing that I was using 2-3 quarts of oil between each oil change. I run Mobil 1 Synthetic with a Wix filter. So after all the discusion on here about the 07 oil consumption issues I took it to the dealer and told them about it so they change the oil and put plain old dino oil in it and asked me to bring it back after a thousand miles to check oil level. I take it back and they say it was fine. Ok bring it back when its due for an oil change I said will do. I am about 300 miles away from 3k mark and It has maybe used a quart. I don't understand how the motor burns up the synthetic and the regular old oil doesn't. I am completely blown away and cannot understand how this works.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Dave
  2. Farmerdave

Nobody has an idea or opinion?
  3. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

I think the trucks use oil. Mine is the '07 with 5.3 L and uses a quart between 500 to 1000 miles, more in the summer than winter. It seems to use more when towing. It's something you should get used to, there are supposed valve cover fixes and such. I believe they use more synthetics than conventional. On new motors i've heard one should never break one in with synthetic oil as the rings won't seat properly. I was treated so shabbily by the dealer I bought mine from I won't go back even for so caalled warranty or recall issues, because they were not at all cooperative when I did, and sometimes made things worse by "fixing" them. They only want your money, lessons learned.
  4. Farmerdave

Yeah I can see your point but it pisses me off. I had a 2004 with the 5.3 that didnt use a half a quart between oil changes and it had 100k on it. All I know is my Dad was so fed up with GM which its all he has owned his entire life that he went and bought a F150 this year with the ecoboost and I am more than impressed with that truck. Might be making the change myself..
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I am interested in this topic also and got no hits on my post a week or so ago.... Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 2WD with the Vortec 5.3 and I am putting a few 2-3 quarts between changes in as well. It does not look like it is the valve covers leaking, but I have an oil pan that is covered in oil to the touch, but not dripping enough to leave spots on the drive way. :-(
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Here is a G.M. TSB #01-06-01-29B-(07/19/2002) ........Regarding Oil Consumption on the 1999" to 2002" Chevy/GMC Trucks and SUV's

Higher Than Expected Engine Oil Consumption: TSB #01-06-01-29B
    (Replace PCV Valve)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado,

1999-2002 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models

2002 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

1999-2002 GMC Denali, Sierra, Suburban, Yukon Models

with 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L Engine (VINs V, T, N, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, LQ9, LQ4)

This bulletin is being revised to clarify the parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-029A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition,
    Some customers may comment on higher than expected engine oil consumption. They may further comment on consumption in the range of 3,200 km (2,000 mi) or less per quart (0.946 liter) of oil under normal driving conditions.

Cause,
    The condition may be due to the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve flow rate under certain engine operating conditions.

Correction,
    Verify that the oil consumption is not the result of an oil leak or other engine concern.
    The dealer should perform an oil consumption test. The vehicle should have accumulated over 6,450 km (4,000 mi) before establishing the oil consumption rate. Reference Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011, Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guideline, for details.
    Remove the PCV valve and inspect the hose going to the intake manifold for signs of excessive oil being present.
    If excessive oil is present in the PCV hose, replace the PCV valve (Type 948C) (2) with a new-style fixed orifice PCV valve, GM P/N 12572717(1).

(1) New style fixed orifice PCV Valve
    (2) Spring and plunger style PCV Valve (Type 948-C)

Important,
    The new style fixed orifice PCV valve contains no moving parts, and does not rattle when shaken.

If the vehicle has an orifice style PCV valve, investigate other causes for high oil consumption.

Parts Information
    Part Number:12572717
    Description: Valve, PCV
    Qty:1

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
  7. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information. Since I am way out of the GM's warrenty on this truck I assume they would not cover it? But if it is a TB, they might?
  8. phonfish

phonfish New Member

I read on another forum that the engines designed to change from v8 to v4 are having problems with oil consumption. Don't remember which forum it was but I had never read that before in any other forum. Anyone else seen or heard of this?
  9. Corso

Corso Member

This is a strange topic because I have heard of 5.3 owners using oil. My '00 however uses zero oil. None. And it presently has 218k miles. In fact none of my small block motors have ever used oil, my big blocks however burn(ed) quite a bit.
  10. Big B

Big B Member

My 2004 Suburban with 100,000 mi uses 'not a drop' of oil between changes.....I bought it at 61,000 and change oil faithfully every 3000 mi