Oil consumption

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by jamesscabetjr, Jan 9, 2009.

1. jamesscabetjr

jamesscabetjr New Member

Hello all my name is Jim and I am new to this site. I have a 99 Silerado, 4.8. I seem to be using oil in the last year and was wondering if there is a special oil or additive to help out .
  2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

How much oil are you using and in how many miles.
  3. jamesscabetjr

jamesscabetjr New Member

Using about 2 qts in 3000 miles. I have always changed my oil every 3000 miles and have always used Valvoline. I now have to start checking on or about 2000 miles .
  4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That sounds excessive to me too. Mine will be down a quart after 5000 miles and that doesn't worry me. I don't know of any additives, but maybe someone else can help out. Good luck!
  5. jamesscabetjr

jamesscabetjr New Member

Oil consumtion

I am now trying the Valvoline Max Life for High Milage vehicles. I will be checking my oil more and hope this will help.
  6. hunter541

hunter541 New Member

make sure you use 10w30 and not 10w40 gm vehicles dont like 10w40 and i like useing lucas oil additives also, its a really good product
  7. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! I've used Engine Restore with some effect in the past. It won't work miracles, but it may help a little.
  8. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

You could have multiple problems from a blown head gasket to valve guides or a broken oil ring on a piston.