Oil consumption

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by jamesscabetjr, Jan 9, 2009.

1. jamesscabetjr

jamesscabetjr New Member

Hello all my name is Jim and I am new to this site. I have a 99 Silerado, 4.8. I seem to be using oil in the last year and was wondering if there is a special oil or additive to help out .
    Thanks

2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

How much oil are you using and in how many miles.

3. jamesscabetjr

jamesscabetjr New Member

Using about 2 qts in 3000 miles. I have always changed my oil every 3000 miles and have always used Valvoline. I now have to start checking on or about 2000 miles .

4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That sounds excessive to me too. Mine will be down a quart after 5000 miles and that doesn't worry me. I don't know of any additives, but maybe someone else can help out. Good luck!

5. jamesscabetjr

jamesscabetjr New Member

Oil consumtion

I am now trying the Valvoline Max Life for High Milage vehicles. I will be checking my oil more and hope this will help.
    Thanks

6. hunter541

hunter541 New Member

make sure you use 10w30 and not 10w40 gm vehicles dont like 10w40 and i like useing lucas oil additives also, its a really good product

7. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! I've used Engine Restore with some effect in the past. It won't work miracles, but it may help a little.

8. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

You could have multiple problems from a blown head gasket to valve guides or a broken oil ring on a piston.