1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

oil cooler bypass

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 454Caddy, Jun 29, 2009.

1. 454Caddy

454Caddy New Member

I know all the possible reasons to not remove the oil cooler from a 1992 Suburban. But this particular 454TBI now lives in a different vehicle.

Question: If I choose not to run the oil cooler, can I just plug the inlet and outlet or do I need to make a loop to maintain proper oil flow?

Thank you
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Good find! This is good information on the bypass valves.
  4. 454Caddy

454Caddy New Member

So I have read the bulletin and I have read the Chevelle forum. Bottom line: If I do not want to run an external oil cooler I should pull the bypass valve out of the center of the oil filter connection (number 4 in the diagram) and plug the inlet and outlet (#1 and #2) originally feeding the oil cooler. Right?
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

That's correct.
  6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts

good find, some good info
  7. 454Caddy

454Caddy New Member

Can anyone tell me what the bypass valve looks like? I know it comes out of the center hole, but I would like to make sure I am not pulling on the wrong thing.