1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

oil cooler hoses

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ron3033, Apr 22, 2013.

1. ron3033

ron3033 New Member

Hello

1995 Chev Tahoe four wheel drive 51 000 miles.

Why do the oil cooler line hoses always seem to leak where the metal tube is crimped to the hose part. Are Dorman cooler line hoses as good as Delco? Look same to me. Should I have the 2 fittings with the plastic clip replaced that hold the line replaced or just get the 2 lines. Do the lines come with clips or do you buy them separate?

I think this is the 3 rd set of these, last ones made 3.5 years...seems like a poor design.

Thank You
    ron3033 :happy:
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

my 95 developed the same leak. It was under warranty and the dealer replaced the hoses. After that it was fine until I sold it 12 years later. I did have frequent problems with the oil filter adapter leaking. It would send oil all over the lines.
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts

very common problem, anytime you have a fitting that goes from metal to rubber it can be bad.

But as pikey said the oil filter adapter can leak and make it look like the cooler lines are leaking, and if you do replace the lines replace the plastic clips as well
  4. ron3033

ron3033 New Member

Thanks Pikey neat avatar too! I may have a bit oil near the adapter, but not much. I even wrapped cloth around the lines then put the plastic sleeves over the rags and tie-wrapped them overtop. Now they must be leaking again, as I have oil on the cross member behind the rad, in the drive, and when I grab the line I get an oily hand.
    I assume they are leaking where the metal tube is crimped to the hose, such a poor design...at least I think.
    I can't afford the dealers to do .. so it is DYI ??
    1) Are the Dorman 107 & 108 good? Seem to be same as dealers, except 17 & 19 dollars.
    2) Do I need to get the 2 fittings that go onto the oil pump? Or can I use the old ones?
    3) Do these fitting break? As I read another post about being pot metal?
    4) What about the plastic clip that holds the pipe into the fittings ... do they come separate or with cooler lines?
    5) Does the "O" ring that goes into the rad come with the cooler line?
    6) I read another post to just buy two brass plugs and get rid of these lines completely?
    7) Can I do this without a hoist, by laying on the ground.
    Thanks I know this is a lot to ask, but I am stuck and need to do this to save some dollars.
    Thanks
    Ron3033

- - - Updated - - -

Z71_Guy Thanks I posted some other concerns a few minutes ago. Could you read it please and advise. Should fittings in adapter be replaced too? Ron3033
  5. Z71_guy

for your questions

1 i have never used anything but napa or dealer hoses
    2 you can use the two old fitting but i would recommend getting new ones
    3 I have never broke one but it can happen usually made of cheaper metal
    4 I think that you have to get the clips separate
    5 the oring usually comes with the lines
    6 I wouldnt plug the cooler lines off they are their for a reason to keep the oil cool, Now if you do not do much or any towing you could do it but im not a big fan of doing that.
    7 you can do this without a hoist a little more of a pain but it can be done.

How bad are the lines leaking, if they are not to bad you could just leave them
  6. ron3033

ron3033 New Member

Hello Z71 The Tahoe just cost me $180 to get exhaust leaks fixed passenger side y pipe connector to manifold and leak around oxygen sensor. They took down y pipe, did a nice weld job where o2 sensor had a little whistle leak. New studs, pucks, clamps ...... labour. Just what I did not need right now.

Called the local GM dealer one oil cooler line was $72.49 & the other was $75.52. What makes these so expensive? Did Delco change how the supplier makes them?
    I have had both Delco and Dorman ... seem the same in the past ... looks wise and performance wise, 4 years seems to be all they last.
    Dorman are 17 & 19 $$. Do you know anything as to why the Delco are so costly, and I never had any better luck with the Delco... other than paying more.

They should modify these to be braided hoses possibly that would work better. As for leaking, I had wrapped the hose portion with cloth an put the plastic protector sleeves overtop of the cloth and zip tied them. They seem , or one is saturated, I get oil drips on my drive. The weather has been terrible for me to undo the rags and clean up the hoses and see how bad they leak. Napa hoses are they Dorman or another brand manufacturer?

Your thoughts are most appreciated.
    Thanks
    ron3033
  7. Z71_guy

not sure of the differance between the dorman and the Delco hoses, at the shop we usually use delco for replacement but have had just as good of luck with aftermarket hoses. Not sure who makes Napas hoses.

Not sure how much it would cost you but you can look at a hydraulic shop and have them make a braided hose or one piece hose that has the same fittings as the stock ones
  8. ron3033

ron3033 New Member

Hi Z71

At least you have given me food for thought. Sounds like you are a Profressional Technician...." at the shop we usually use delco for replacement but have had just as good of luck with aftermarket hoses" I just never get more that 4 years, whether GM or aftermarket out of the hoses. I am wondering if the GM dealer stiffed me last time and did not have GM parts and put on something else. That does not matter as that dealer is gone with the Gm restructure a while ago. The other dealer wants about 150, just hoses ... no fittings.... not labour. I am on my own with this one. I guess soon as it gets warm(need some warm and no more snow) I will have a closer look at them as the last repair bill is what I did not need. I think getting custom made hoses may be really cost prohibitive. I guess it will be Dorman, sounds like you have had luck with them at your work.
    Thanks
    ron3033:money:
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I would search amazon, If you can get the AC delco part numbers. They sell delco parts pretty cheap
  10. ron3033

ron3033 New Member

Never thought of that ....Good idea Thanks!:great: ron3033

- - - Updated - - -

Never thought of that ....Good idea Thanks!:great: ron3033