Oil cooler lines leak

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Ru-one, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Ru-one

Ru-one New Member

Is there an after market fix or just a better idea to stop the oil cooler lines from leaking where they attach to the oil filter assembly. The factory O rings I put in the last time (about 50,000 miles ago) started to leak very shortly after installing them, now they are worse. The truck is a 1997 1/2 ton with a 305, auto., 4x4.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

From what you've mentioned, the Best way to fix this problem, is by installing New Oil Cooler Lines, in the Diagram Number's #13 and #14.....these are the Oil Cooler lines your talking about??

[​IMG]

3. Ru-one

Ru-one New Member

Yeah those are the ones, but the filter sits side ways on mine. I'd like to change that aspect of it too, like the one in your picture. Thanks for the input.

4. Sawfish

Sawfish Member

Sounds like you may have a 4X4. Chevy uses an offset block that enables the front drive shaft to clear the filter by mounting it horizontally. There is a O ring between the offset block and the engine. This is the source of many oil leak complaints.