Oil copnsumption troubles?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stumpman, Aug 29, 2011.

1. stumpman

stumpman New Member

Oil consumption troubles?

Just wondering if all the NBS 07-011 GMC's and chevys with the 5.3 are having the issues with using a lot of oil or just a few? A GM mechaninc friend told me there were many getting new pistons and rings and such because of the AFM and shutting down from 8 to 4 cylinders and not getting enough oil to the cylinders. I'm wondering if you program out the AFM to where the truck runs on all 8 cylinders if that would stop the problem from happening or not? I have an 07 NBS 5.3 with 43,000 miles and so far it runs great just hoping it doesn't start using oil like many have had issues with.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

There are threads here that mention it but I have not personally had any experience with that, so I do not know. But to answer your question about shutting off the AFM: Yes, you can. Some programmers allow you to select if you want to deactivate it. I know my Diablosprot Predator does and I believe the Diablo Trinity does as well.

3. stumpman

stumpman New Member

I ordered the diablo sport predator today should have it in a couple of days. How does yours run with it off? Did it hurt your MPG much at all?

4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I am currently getting about 14mpg city and 18mpg on the highway. I think that is pretty good mileage still given the mods that I have, especially the tire size and gearing. I had my tuner custom tuned by a member of this site and I'm not exactly sure of all the settings. I do that he turned off the AFM, but I am not sure of the true impact given all of the other variables.

Congrats on your Predator! You'll find that there are ton of things you can do with it, including increasing mileage. And the nice thing is if/when you change tire size, need to get and/or reset codes, increase performance (i.e. towing), etc, you'll find that your Predator will come in handy. There are a ton of threads here on its functions, so when you get a chance, you may want to read up on it and see what others have done with it.