1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Oil drain plug crush washers

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bowtied, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

Last oil change I noticed that my crush washer was spent, it was also made of either a card-board-ish material or, a rubber type that had swelled and soaked in a bunch of oil and literally crumbled to bits, resembling soaked cardboard.

Can anyone give me a source locally or online for these crush washers? I was thinking autozone/napa but i dont have a specific size and when you go looking for washers/gaskets they typically have a section with generic displays which are only useful if u know what size ur looking for.

Does anyone have this specific data for type/size of crush washer to use on drain bolt (or if one is even necessary? it could've been added by mistake)

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

my 2000 has the OEM drain plug no washer. the drain plug is a magnet and has a rubber seal built in ..

I would get a proper drain plug from the dealership with the magnet and seal .. I never had any drain plug problems with this type.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2 on that. This is my 3rd 5.3L and everyone of them has had the same drain plug as J-cat described, with a rubber seal built into the flange on the head of the plug. mine looks like this
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...0cyZ8gd4w?itemIdentifier=820272_107204_13140_

4. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

ok i need to double check that but according to the shape, mine is NOT oem, thanks for the info i'll be looking into getting one.

5. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x3 on what jcat and pikey said. My 2001 has an OE drain plug like they described. If yours is not OE, then I would replace it with one that is.

6. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Or just forget ever having to deal with the drain plug again and get a Fumoto drain valve. Have used them for over a decade and put one on my 2013 5.3L at the first oil change. Less mess. Just lift and twist the lever and drain the oil.