Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

oil - filter& additives preference

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by uk mac, Aug 2, 2009.

1. uk mac

uk mac New Member

hi from england
    just changed oil in my 96 silverado used 10/30 pensoil with fram filter
    does any one have oil /filter preferance and how about oil additives --wynes---- stp ----prolong etc

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I use Valvoline Maxlife 5-30 Full Synthetic with a A/C Delco Filter,I change my oil around 4500-5000,I don't use any additives.

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I use Napa Gold made by Wix. Fram also has several grades of filters. The cheap orange ones are for 3000 mile oil changes. If I had to use a Fram, which I have many times in the past, I get the better model Fram. Fram also makes a racing filter which is a high flow filter with a thicker metal can.
    Everyone on this forum <except me>:glasses: uses Seafoam. Since it's magic I'm waiting until my truck turns into a pumpkin at 100K and then I'll add the Seafoam to reset my odometer back to Zero. LMAO

4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Stay away from the orange box. Use WIX, or NAPA Gold, which is made by WIX. I use Valvoline MaxLife 10W-30 High Mileage Synthetic Blend. All my vehicles were purchased used with high miles. If I had a new engine, I would probably run Full Synthetic. No additives for me. I'm curious about the SeaFoam in the sump though. I'll have to do some more reading around here.

5. vms4evr

vms4evr Rockstar 100 Posts

Oil additives

Stay away from oil additives. Even a decent oil does not require additives. If you run a synthetic then definitely don't use any. Stick with a good quality oil and filter. That's it.

I agree on staying away from the orange filter too. They spend more money on marketing than building a quality part. They have a notorious rap for bad filter assembly and junk parts.

I've tried the Seafoam through fuel system. Haven't tried it in the oil as a detergent/flush yet. In general Chevy V8's are not noted for getting full of sludge.

6. uk mac

uk mac New Member

ok thanks for input will change filter asap i do havea pro gauge filter is that any better than a fram seems to be same as puralator
    i think it depends on what my supplier has in stock