1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

oil filter difference..5.3-6.0

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 89steveo50, Mar 13, 2014.

1. 89steveo50

89steveo50 New Member

My question is... would the 6.0L oil filter size make a difference in my 5.3L engine? Im using napa gold (wicks). Just curious.
  2. yotchie

yotchie Member 100 Posts

check part numbers, as they might be the same filter anyway
  3. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 100 Posts

Even if they were different size, they probably are the same micron filtering level, so you wouldn't gain anything. If you are getting enough gunk in the filter to cause it to go into bypass mode, you have greater issues than filter size.
  4. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

I got an oversized filter for my 8.1 once since I had found that there are larger filters used on the 8.1 in marine applications, among other things. Thought myself very clever until I went to put it in and the front axle was in the way.

Many if not most GM engines use a smaller oil filter in 4x4 trucks than in otherwise identical 4x2 trucks.

So there's more to the story than what fits the engine.

A fact to consider is that 4x4 trucks don't seem to have shorter engine life so I'm not sure filter size has much to do with anything. The Wix filters are good ones in any size
  5. 89steveo50

89steveo50 New Member

Well i haven't had any oil issues at all. I've been using the filtersfor the 6.0L just because theres a larger filter surface area and easier on the filter life. I change it every 3-4000 miles. But just for general knowledge I was just curious. I haven't noticed any performance issues either.
  6. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 100 Posts

No, you shouldn't have any issues, except if the larger filter costs more, it is probably not a good buy. There is hardly a filter being made that can't go well beyond the 3-4000 miles you are doing your OCI's. Sure won't hurt anything, but am not convinced it would be worth it unless the larger filter was the same cost or lower. That is the beauty of oil sample testing. You can find out if what you are doing is really helping or is all perception and of no value whatsoever.