1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil Filters to avoid with NNBS 5.3L engines.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Oct 29, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have pretty much used AC Delco oil filters on both of my NNBS Silverados (AC PF48) since I owned them. I have been an OEM oil filter guy even when I owned an Explorer(Motorcraft FL-820S).

After doing some reading it appears that AC Delco is headed to make ALL their oil filters those el-cheapo E-cores. When/if that happens I will no longer use AC Delco oil filters. My last trip to Walmart it looked like all the AC Delco oil filters besides the PF48 were E-cores.

My question is are there any filters to avoid using on the 5.3L engines. Reason I ask is that when I had my 1998 Chevy C1500 with the 4.3L engine if I used certain filters the engine would rattle when I started it. The problem went away as soon as I put an AC Delco PF52 on it.

Now there are some over at Bob is the Oil Guy that say that AC Delco classic oil filters are only good for ~5K miles and if you want to get the most out of your synthetic oil to run a filter like a Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, Purolator PureOne, K&N, etc.

Just wanted others thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

reports are that you should not use E core filters . good for re-cycling bad when they explode !
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well since the change intervals are typically longer now with synthetic fluids and newer vehicles I would just look at a decent filter with the silicone anti drain back valve and synthetic media. Dont go for the cheap economy filter but doesnt need to be a 15 dollar filter either. Look at WIX or Napa gold (wix), fram toughguard or higher.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have always used Fram Ultra or Toughguard, and have never had a problem.
  5. stchman

My thoughts exactly, they have that plastic cage instead of a perforated metal tube. IMO, this would be disastrous if a chunk of media tore off and slipped in-between the plastic cage and went into the engine.

- - - Updated - - -

The only Fram I would even consider is the Ultra which has metal end caps. All the rest of the Frams use cheap fiber end caps.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read the same thing. As far as a silicone ADBV vs. nitrile rubber, I think that argument is highly overrated. The AC Delco oil filters have a nitrile rubber and they work well.

I was thinking of getting a Fram Ultra filter for my next oil change.
  6. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Im trying to figure out how the vehicles DIC determines when your oil should be changed.. I changed my oil at 3985 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic. I reset my DIC and I now have 11,450 and it still says I have 12% (+ or - 2%)oil life left. That is almost 7500 miles and still has more to go.. Im changing it now because 7500 is my comfort level on a synthetic oil change but how does the truck know what im using for oil? Is it determined by trip length and rpm's over the course of the trips? Is 8000 miles the preset oil change increment now a days with all oil? I dont know but my 03 escalades oil change interval was about 5500 miles before that was at about 0% oil life left.
  7. stchman

Apparently the DIC has algorithms that take into account:

engine RPMs
    engine temperature
    ambient temperature
    engine on-off intervals

After the DIC crunches some numbers it comes up with your OCI.

Now the DIC has no idea if you are using Mobil 1 or Supertech conventional. The DIC for the newer trucks is programmed to assume you are using dexos licensed oil.

My 2013 Silverado it wants me to change the oil at ~8200 miles. Since I run Mobil 1 that is a reasonable figure.

My girlfriend has a 2013 Malibu with the 2.5L engine. She bought the 3 years scheduled maintenance from the dealer and they want her to come back and change the oil and filter every 4K miles. I personally think that is too soon, but since it is all part of the package, let them do it more often.

For me, I am going to get a used oil analysis from Blackstone and see how everything is doing oil wise. I normally change the oil and filter every 6K using Mobil 1, but I want to see if I am doing it too soon.
  8. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Cool, Yeah I kind of figured it must do some sort of number crunching. Keep us posted on what info you get with the oil analysis. I would be interested in knowing what they can tell you from a forensic analysis (like csi can they tell if your trucks a female or male chevy or ford pregnant or not :lol:)
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Very good Read I'm getting the oil changed in the next few days Just put some Seafoam in the Crank case... :great: Good info..
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am trying to find the GM Bulletin about the E-core filters. I read one a few days ago that said that said that they will continue to make both the e-core and classic. Whatever the case. I am going to order a bunch of the classic from amazon. They are $4 there.