1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil Filters to avoid with NNBS 5.3L engines.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Oct 29, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I have heard people using that Seafoam stuff. Do you add it to the gas or do you have it sucked into the intake?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Both! Some add it to the crankcase oil about 100 miles before an oil change. They say not to go too much more than that because all the crap it loosens up can plug the oil filter. I am not real big on adding anything to my oil. Maybe if I had a new truck and did it from the start. When I worked in the garage every time we added some sort of cleaner to the oil the motor blew soon after. But, there are plenty of guys that use the seafoam in their oil with no issue.
  3. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

You can add it to your oil (100 miles or less before an oil change), into your brake booster vacuum line, or into your gas tank as they all clean different areas. Another reason why you should only add it before an oil change is because it also thins out your oil.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

As said above I add it to my gas 1/2 about once a month and to the oil about 50-75 miles before a change
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Question about the e-core filters. What years/model numbers of filters are they doing that for.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I've used Seafoam in my oil and it seemed to clean it out decently. Also used it in my tank which I hope cleaned some deposits out.
  6. stchman

From everything I have read in MANY owners manuals, they tell you using oil additives are completely un-necessary. Also many manufacturers tell you that engine flushes can damage the engine.

You can identify AC Delco E-cores as they will have the E designation in the part number, i.e. PF47E, PF52E. etc.

As far as what years/models, I have no idea. From what I have seen, the PF48s still have no E-core equivalent. I bought a whole bunch from Walmart and Amazon.
  7. Conlan Rose

Ok, good to know. So far Autozone doesn't sell PF52E filters if they exist so I don't have to worry yet. Last thing I want on my 202,500+ mile engine is a filter that is going to fall apart and not protect my engine.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Be careful with amazon. I ordered 7 PF46 for my truck and a few of them ended up being PF46E. So, I sent them back.
  9. stchman

Walmart has the PF52E, the only non E-core AC Delco oil fiter they have the is the PF48.

If I were you, I would buy a few PF52s and put them away.
  10. Conlan Rose

[MENTION=57614]stchman[/MENTION] I may do that they are less than $5 at Autozone so stocking up won't hurt. I'll keep the extras I buy for later and keep buying new ones until I can't find them.
    [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] I said Autozone not Amazon. I buy my oil filters in person so I can check the filter before I buy it and buy the oil at the same time.