Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Oil Filters

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by 1flyfisher, Aug 30, 2010.

1. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Well I am pricing things out. At Autozone Mobil 1 is $7.49 a quart. 6 quarts comes to $45 or so not factoring in tax so add a few bucks there.

The K&N filter for my 2010 GMC Savana 5.3L is $20.99...OUCH!
    FRAM is $5.69
    A/C Delco is $4.19
    Mobil is $12.99
    ValuCraft is $2.99

IS THE K&N worth the EXTRA COST? or is a FRAM a good filter/good value? ​

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

alot of people will trash the fram filter, but that is usually thier economy filter. they also sell higher end filters similar to the Wix/Napa filters costing closer to the 8-10 dollar range. I don't see it being worth 21 dollars for the K&n. Alot of good ones in the range of half that. mobil 1, wix, napa gold etc.

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x2.....On what dsfloyd has mentioned......re-guarding the Oil Filter's......for my truck....I use A/C Delco Oil Filter's.

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I use NAPA Gold filters ( made by Wix) for $6.25 and Mobil 1 synthetic from Walmart, 5qt. jug for $26.00.

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I run WIX only (i wont shop at the local napa thanks to poor service and no price matching) and run Valvoline or Mobil 1 Dino in all my vehicles.

6. Farmerdave

Farmerdave Rockstar 100 Posts

I run Wix the same price as Fram and a hell off a lot better filter. Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic 5 quart jug for 23 from walmart, and a quart of lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer. Its real close to 35 bucks an oil change. Which isn't bad in my opinion. I have had three 5.3 vortecs and none of mine have had the cold start tick that others complain about.

7. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Get your oil at Walmart. A 5 quart jug of Pennzoil High Mileage was $14, and like $3 for another quart. I get my K&N filter from Autozone for $15. so $35 for an oil change . Not too bad.

8. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm running Amsoil. $66.05 for engine flush, 10W-30 oil and filter.

Advantage: You only need to change your oil every 25,000 miles or every year, which ever comes first.

I changed the oil in my wifes Accord back in Feb and it's still golden brown.

9. crummer42

crummer42 New Member

Every 25,000 miles or once year?? That is CRAZY!!!

10. Farmerdave

Farmerdave Rockstar 100 Posts

I personally don't feel that any of the oil filters on the market will last 25000 miles.. I think your playing with a time bomb by doing that.