1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

oil ? for 2000 silveado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 95silv001, Sep 26, 2012.

1. 95silv001

95silv001 New Member

Hello, I just changed my oil for the first time. I used Mobil 1 syn. and someone was telling me today I should change back to con. oil because it could develop a leak. Should I do this or could I use High Mileage Mobil 1 with the conditioners?
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Synthetic is the way to go it lasts longer and helps the engine more. And if you develop a leak then replace the gasket, stop leak and leak prevention additives are bad for the motor and can cause more harm than good in the long run.
  3. 95silv001

95silv001 New Member

Thank you, does anyone else have input on the matter? all advice helps. Should I stick with Mobil or consider a syn. blend?
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Stick with the synthetic oil since you're now using it...

It's not the synthetic oil that causes such things ... rather, the switch to synthetic oil merely reveals an existing problem that hadn't manifested with conventional oil, yet.
  5. 95silv001

95silv001 New Member

Ok, Does anyone else have an older vehicle and have switched from con to synthetic oils with success? I have no current leaks and sure do not want to start having problems now. I have 140,000 on the truck.
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't know what was in my truck prior to owning it but I now use synthetic and it has caused unknown leaks to finally show up a little bit but it didn't cause them. Example: before I did my own oil change my oil filter adapter never leaked from what I could tell, but once I did my own oil change with synthetic the leak was obvious and major. This leak was major because the adapter for some reason didn't have any gaskets on it so oil could freely flow from it! I have since replaced/added the proper gaskets and still use synthetic with out any problems engine no longer leaks.
  7. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I am not sure what to tell you, Synthetic is more expensive, and on my 2000 Silverado, I already have oil leaks, so I am not going to waste the money on synthetic to have it leak even more.... If it had new gaskets, I might go synthetic, or a new engine. I have 217,000 miles on mine.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would go with synthetic. I just bought an 2005 yukon xl and am now running mobile one high mileage. It has not developed any leaks. If it did I would fix the leak. The high mileage mobile one is supposed to have seal conditioners. I don't know if it is just hype or what. But, I got it on sale so that is what is in it.
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Stick with the synthetic, it'll be much better for your engine. If you develop leaks stay with synthetic and repair the leaks, odd's are if it does develop a leak even switching back wont stop the leak it'll need to be repaired by changing a seal or gasket.
    Also as noted dont use miracle chemicals to fix a leak unless you have no choice and its an absolute emergency, keep in mind these miracle chemicals job is to gum up the leak and stop it, what do you think they do to the other parts of the engine that arent leaking, I'm sure they arent promoting good lubrication.
  10. PerusTC

PerusTC New Member

Mobil 1 and Amsoil....the 2 best oils on the market...IMHO.