Oil in Radiator, Oil in Coolant, Oil in Water

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Tony329, May 21, 2012.

1. Tony329

Tony329 New Member

Hello

I have a 96 chevy k3500 with a 454 / 7400 and i am getting oil into the coolant. Engine runs fine, no smoke, no coolant in oil, had the radiator tested but all he did was put coolant pressure in the water side and check for bubbles in a flooded oil cooler, I wonder if the conditions change when it is at temperature and oil cooler has pressure. Does anyone know how much pressure is present in the cooler when engine is running.
    Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem?

Thankyou Tony

2. carmantx

carmantx Member

Engine oil pressure will run 20psi up to 60 or more psi, while the coolant would only be 12-14psi, I think.

What color is the "oil" in the radiator? Does it have red tint? Is it transmission coolant? Transmission lines have higher pressure than engine oil lines. I am not certain on your 96, but on my 2000, the engine oil cooler is not in the radiator, it is a seperate cooler. The trans cooler is in the radiator.

Good luck.

3. Tony329

Tony329 New Member

thanks mark

it is oil and black, not red from the transmission, there is deffinately an oil cooler in the radiator and i am hoping that is the problem. I took an other radiator apart to see what the cooler looks like, it doesnt look like something that should fail. that is why i am asking if anyone else found a solution to a problem like this.

4. carmantx

carmantx Member

Ok, I have not had an issue with one, so I can't answer that.
    I would say, it should be a good thing that the oil is in coolant, and not other way around.

5. Tony329

Tony329 New Member

amen to that
    thanks for your time