1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

oil leak 1999 Chevrolet suburban 2500 diesel LT

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by towncarblue, Jan 31, 2012.

1. towncarblue

towncarblue New Member

a friend of mine wants to sell me his 1999 Chevrolet suburban 2500 diesel LT.
    when iwent to turn on the vehicle today i noticed an oil leak. its motor oil.
    when i went under the vehicle i felt a small hole and it felt as if a screw was supposed to be there.
    the hole is between the engine and the tranny.
    i have put a pic on photobucket.com here is the link to the pic.
    the oil guage on the instrument cluster stays very close to zero.
    oil only starts to leak when the engine gets warm.
    there are no ob2 codes

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii42/towncarblue/IMG_2798edited.jpg
    the red arrow shows exactly where it is leaking. i do not know the part itself .
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Probably a rear main seal leak. Common on almost all high mileage engines. If just a drip now then not big deal. If the gauge reads low ol pressure. I'd verify before you buy, could mean a worn out motor. That is the torque-converter cover you're looking at. The hole lets any water or oil out that may accumulate.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  3. hoosyurdaddy

hoosyurdaddy Rockstar

If it aint leakin,it aint a deisel.