Oil Leak 1999 Silverado 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by bluebrick, Feb 15, 2012.

1. bluebrick

bluebrick New Member

I have noticed a very small oil leak on the ground after I park my truck for a short while. It is not a very big spot, but in any case it is definitely an oil leak. I checked the oil drain plug to make sure that it was tight and it was. Any suggestions on where else I might check? Also, should the oil drain plug have a metal gasket around it? Thanks.

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

It should and there should be a O ring around it too. I have the same problem and I have replaced the O ring multiple times with no improvements. Probably the main seal thats giving me the headache and that might be your problem too since its an old truck.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I second the rear main seal.. which after time with the Gms wears and seeps some oil

4. bluebrick

bluebrick New Member

Is there a definitive way to tell if is the rear main seal or any other seal? Can you just look at it and tell?

5. bluebrick

bluebrick New Member

What are some estimates for replacing the rear main oil seal on a 1999 Silverado 2500, 6.0 engine?

6. BoneHead

BoneHead Member

I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets bad. Besides, are you sure the truck isn't "marking it's territory" lol

7. gnfshn283

gnfshn283 New Member

Another possible cause

I had a small oil leak from my 1993 K1500 5.7 when I had it in for service I asked if they try to find the source for me .
    The diagnosis was that the rear main was leaking a little bit but nothing serious , Common problem on high mileage vehicles
    like mine. Less than a week later while at work one of my co-workers asked me what was leaking from my pickup, said
    it had left a trail from the highway to where it was parked (3 blocks) . I went to investigate thinking I'd find a big puddle
    of whatever it was but all I found was where the trail ended and it was oil . Checked the oil level it was 3 quarts low .
    Put some oil in and started it up looked under the truck and found oil gushing from between the block and the oil filter adapter.
    $5.00 for the gasket . could have been $5000.00 for another old truck .