1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Oil leak-front oil pan+ cracked timing cover

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by phoebeisis, Jul 11, 2009.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I posted a few weeks ago that I paid a mechanic-shade tree-to change my intake manifold gaskets,change the timing chain and cover, and oil pan gasket.

The guy seemed competent enough, but he worked waaaay too fast,so we had to spend 2 extra hours finding out why we now had a miss-and a code- that said cyl 1 was misfiring.Well he had partially bent one of the plug male parts that "work" the fuel injectors.He put the cap on in a rush and bent it.

Well a couple of weeks late I notice an oil leak near the front of the oil pan.Called him-phone tag, but he hasn't showed up so I started in today.

The gasket actually looked ok-but when I was fooling around with the pan I noticed a piece of plastic fell.
    It was a piece of the timing cover.He was using pneumatic tools-he must have over torqued it.

Guess I better to stick to doing work myself. Now I'm down another gasket(bought it already and opened it) and another timing cover.It is on the way-real GM-

Oh well,
    Charlie
    PS What is that tube that you have to thread the oil pan gasket over? I really can't see it, since I'm not going to completely remove the pan.?