Oil Leak?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by caison357, Feb 26, 2014.

1. caison357

caison357 New Member

I drive a 2000 Silverado which has had a small oil leak for sometime now. Before I changed the oil it was barely leaking but now, after changing the oil, it now leaks a good amount overnight. This is not coming from the oil filter but somewhere above and is dripping off of the oil pan. Anyone had this trouble?

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

First question is what engine do you have? Because depending on what engine I have different suggestions. Also is the truck 4x4 or 2wd?

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

if it is still leaking replace the oil filter. clean the surface where the filter touches. screw filter on only one full turn after the filter gasket touches the sealing surface. make sure the OLD oil gasket is not stuck on the engine. do not use fram filters.

4. caison357

caison357 New Member

5.3 and 4x4

- - - Updated - - -

Even if it seems to be leaking from above that seal?? Also is bosch a good brand of filter? I normally use Fram but Bosch was on sale with the oil.

5. edsmagichands

edsmagichands Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Does it have the oil cooler housing that the filter screws onto?

6. caison357

caison357 New Member

Yes but im pretty sure the gasket for it has been replaced because I thought it was to cause for the previous oil leak.
    - - - Updated - - -

Is it possible for the oil pan to leak when the oil is above the gasket line but quit when it is lower. The truck quit leaking for a while and the oil was within running range but low before I changed it.

7. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I use pure one purolator/ wix/ napa gold/ ac delco / mobil 1 oil filters and these are also reported to be good quality... some times the gaskets are messed up on a filter...also if you have had the oil pan or the transmission removed this can be an alignment problem. then this also could be an O ring issue with the filter adapter. there are O rings on this ..